Object in free fall - Velocity

In summary, the object's velocity at the beginning of the 1.0 second interval is 2.9 m/s upward. This was found by using the equations Vavg = vi + vf / 2 and vf = vi + at, where a = -9.8 m/s^2 (acceleration due to gravity).
mybrohshi5

Homework Statement

An object is in free fall at the surface of the Earth. In a certain 1.0 second time interval, the average velocity of the object is measured to be 2.0 m/s downward.

What was the velocity of the object at the beginning of the 1.0 second interval?

Homework Equations

Vavg = vi + vf / 2

The Attempt at a Solution

I came across this as i am studying for my physics final.

The answer is 2.9 m/s upward.

I am not sure how to get this because i cannot think of the right equation to use to get me to the correct answer.

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the first equation, with 2 unknowns.
You need another equation of motion to solve for vi and vf.
List what is known and unknown.
Watch your plus and minus signs.

mybrohshi5 said:

Homework Statement

An object is in free fall at the surface of the Earth. In a certain 1.0 second time interval, the average velocity of the object is measured to be 2.0 m/s downward.

What was the velocity of the object at the beginning of the 1.0 second interval?

Homework Equations

Vavg = vi + vf / 2

The Attempt at a Solution

I came across this as i am studying for my physics final.

The answer is 2.9 m/s upward.

I am not sure how to get this because i cannot think of the right equation to use to get me to the correct answer.

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

It seems to me you need a starting point. The problem as stated seems insoluable--or having infinite solutions, if you prefer.

PhanthomJay said:
You have the first equation, with 2 unknowns.
You need another equation of motion to solve for vi and vf.
List what is known and unknown.
Watch your plus and minus signs.

Thank you Jay. I think i got it now using the other equation: vf = vi + at

As a scientist, it is important to understand the concept of free fall and its relationship with velocity. In free fall, an object is only under the influence of gravity and no other forces. This means that the object's acceleration is constant and equal to the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s^2 downward at the surface of the Earth.

In this scenario, the object's initial velocity (vi) is unknown, but we do know its average velocity (Vavg) and the time interval (1.0 second). To solve for vi, we can use the equation Vavg = vi + vf / 2, where vf is the final velocity. Since the object is in free fall, vf can be calculated using the equation vf = vi + at, where a is the acceleration due to gravity and t is the time interval.

Substituting this into the first equation, we get Vavg = vi + (vi + at) / 2. Solving for vi, we get vi = (2Vavg - at) / 2. Plugging in the given values, we get vi = (2(2.0 m/s) - (9.8 m/s^2)(1.0 s)) / 2 = 0.2 m/s upward.

Therefore, the object's initial velocity at the beginning of the 1.0 second interval was 0.2 m/s upward. This makes sense since the object is initially at rest and then accelerates downwards due to gravity. I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept better. Good luck on your final exam!

What is an object in free fall?

An object in free fall is an object that is only affected by gravity as it falls towards the ground. This means that it is not being pushed or pulled by any other forces.

What is the velocity of an object in free fall?

The velocity of an object in free fall is constantly changing as it falls towards the ground. At the beginning of the fall, the velocity is 0 m/s and it increases by 9.8 m/s every second.

How does the mass of an object affect its velocity in free fall?

The mass of an object does not affect its velocity in free fall. This is because all objects, regardless of their mass, are affected by gravity in the same way. However, the mass does affect the force of gravity on the object, which can affect its acceleration.

What factors can affect the velocity of an object in free fall?

The velocity of an object in free fall is affected by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), the height from which it is dropped, and any air resistance it may encounter as it falls.

Can the velocity of an object in free fall ever reach 0 m/s?

Yes, the velocity of an object in free fall will reach 0 m/s when it reaches its maximum height or when it hits the ground. This is because at these points, the object is no longer being pulled towards the ground by gravity.