Object rotation in vacuum and the Friction force

In summary, any object rotating on an axis will eventually stop due to friction force. However, if the same object rotates in a vacuum, there will be no friction force and it will continue to rotate forever. This is due to the conservation of angular momentum and energy. In a vacuum, there is no gravity or external forces acting on the object, so it will not lose its energy. This concept can be seen in the example of a neutron star emitting gravitational waves and losing energy. In a vacuum, a perfectly symmetrical object rotating on its axis will never lose its energy and continue to rotate forever. Furthermore, if two bodies are placed in a free falling vacuum chamber, they will rotate around each other due to the conservation of angular momentum
niralsoni
Any object rotating on the axis does stop because of some kind of friction force.

What happens if the same object rotates in the vacuum ?

does the friction force applies to it ?
or does it stop at any point in time ?
or does it continue to rotate forever ?

Thanks & Regards,
Niral Soni

Physics news on Phys.org
1) no friction force applies to it

2) it won't stop at any time

3) yes it will rotate forever

example:- earth, moon

"In vacuum" does not necessarily mean no friction! If you have an object rotating around an axis and rotating around that axis, there will be friction between the object and the axis.

(Thanks for the correction.)

Last edited by a moderator:
If the object is not rigid it will cause stress due to the outward acceleration. I don't know if this necessarily will cause deformation and thus slowing the rotation, but I am quite certain that some mechanical energy will be lost because of this.

If the object is completely rigid, then special relativity has something to say about that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehrenfest_paradox

There are some problems with rigid bodies rotating because of length contraction. Apparantly a rigid body will immediately shatter if it is rotated, or so the article explains is one proposal.

Rigid rotating rods however, I think they would rotate forever.

The Earth and moon not such a good example, since e.g. the moon cause tidal flow on Earth which is a huge source of friction, and this does indeed slow rotation. Earth itself by rotating cause friction within the layers of the ground, and this is as well draining the mechanical energy of rotation.

HallsofIvy said:
"In vacuum" does not necessarily mean no friction! If you have an object rotating around an axis and rotating around that axis, there will be friction between the object and the friction.

HoI...I think I see what you are saying, but this is a very, very strange way of saying it.

I think there was a typo and the last word should be "axis".

thanks all of you for the quick reply.

what i understand from this discussion that there will be a friction force beteen the object and its axis, which in turn at some point in time will stop that object rotation.

please correct me if i am wrong.

Now, Can we relate vacuum with the zero gravity ?
what happens to the object rotating in outer space where there is a zero gravity?

And, say for example, in a vacuumed container, a rotating object is placed. Will there be any gravitational force applies to that object?

Thanks & Regards,
Niral Soni

A vacuum chamber does not eliminate gravity. They are not related concepts.

ok..

disregardthat said:
If the object is not rigid it will cause stress due to the outward acceleration. I don't know if this necessarily will cause deformation and thus slowing the rotation, but I am quite certain that some mechanical energy will be lost because of this.
A torque is required to change angular momentum. For example, the Earth's rotation rate is gradually decreasing because the Moon exerts a torque on the Earth via the tides. Without no external torques acting on some object, that object's angular momentum will be conserved.

Angular velocity, however, is not a conserved quantity, nor is mechanical energy. A non-rigid but still cohesive body will eventually wind up rotating about the axis with the greatest moment of inertia.

HallsofIvy said:
"In vacuum" does not necessarily mean no friction! If you have an object rotating around an axis and rotating around that axis, there will be friction between the object and the friction.

sorry i didnt get it...most objects in universe rotate around imagenry axis so how can there be friction between both...will u please explain

D H said:
A torque is required to change angular momentum. For example, the Earth's rotation rate is gradually decreasing because the Moon exerts a torque on the Earth via the tides. Without no external torques acting on some object, that object's angular momentum will be conserved.

Angular velocity, however, is not a conserved quantity, nor is mechanical energy. A non-rigid but still cohesive body will eventually wind up rotating about the axis with the greatest moment of inertia.

So would you say that a planet unaffected by external forces would rotate indefinitely, without regard to friction caused by the rotation itself?

If the object that is rotating is not perfectly symmetrical about its rotation axis then it will emit gravitational waves and lose energy that way. Neutron stars are expected to do this for example.

darkxponent said:
sorry i didnt get it...most objects in universe rotate around imagenry axis so how can there be friction between both...will u please explain
The original question said nothing about lack of gravity or lack of a supporting axis.

russ_watters said:
The original question said nothing about lack of gravity or lack of a supporting axis.

than you sir for your reply. But this gives me one more doubt. Does this means that your saying that if perfectly symmetrical object rotates around itself will never loose its Energy and keep on rotating forever

darkxponent said:
than you sir for your reply. But this gives me one more doubt. Does this means that your saying that if perfectly symmetrical object rotates around itself will never loose its Energy and keep on rotating forever
If it is floating out in space and not connected to anything, yes. Conservation of energy demands that if nothing saps energy from it, it won't lose its rotational kinetic energy.

oh thnx now i got it what you meant

russ_watters said:
If it is floating out in space and not connected to anything, yes. Conservation of energy demands that if nothing saps energy from it, it won't lose its rotational kinetic energy.

Considering the perfect symmetrical object rotating on its axis in vacuum, will it be possible to create a model arround it, here on the Earth ?

If I put 2 bodies in a free falling vacuum chamber, will they rotate around each other ?
Apologies if the question is dumb.

1. What is object rotation in vacuum?

Object rotation in vacuum refers to the motion of a solid object in a completely frictionless environment, such as outer space where there is no air or other particles to create resistance.

2. How does object rotation in vacuum differ from rotation in a non-vacuum environment?

In a non-vacuum environment, such as on Earth, there is usually some form of resistance or friction present which can affect the rotation of an object. In vacuum, there is no resistance or friction, so the object will continue to rotate at a constant speed without any external forces acting on it.

3. What is the friction force and how does it affect object rotation?

The friction force is a resistance force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact with each other and move or try to move relative to one another. In the context of object rotation, friction can slow down or stop the rotation of an object, depending on the strength of the force and the mass of the object.

4. Can an object rotate in vacuum without any friction force?

Yes, an object can rotate in vacuum without any friction force. In a completely frictionless environment, the object will continue to rotate at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

5. How is object rotation in vacuum relevant to scientific research?

Object rotation in vacuum is relevant to scientific research, particularly in the fields of astrophysics and space exploration. Understanding how objects behave in a frictionless environment can provide insight into the movement of celestial bodies and can also aid in the design and development of spacecraft and other technologies for use in outer space.