How Do You Calculate Object-to-Image Distance in Lens Systems?

• Thread starter Aelo
  • Start date
In summary, the lens image is 50 mm across and the overall object-to-image distance is 250 mm. The magnification is given as 10 mm/250 mm or .04.
Aelo

Homework Statement

A 50 mm focal length thin lens in air is used to image a 250 mm x 250 mm object onto a 10 mm x 10 mm detector. What is the overall object-to-image distance (throw)? Besides the exact solution, can you think of a reasonable approximation?

Homework Equations

Throw, T = l' - l
For a thin lens: (1/l') = (1/F) + (1/l)
For a thin lens in air: f = -F

The Attempt at a Solution

Since f = 50 mm was given, F = -50 mm. I'm thinking that if I could find either l' or l, I could then use the second equation to find the remaining unknown, and then plug into the equation for T. I'm not sure how to use the given dimensions for the object and detector. I know of no equations that incorporate the area, and I can't determine what else they could be used to describe.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aelo said:

Homework Statement

A 50 mm focal length thin lens in air is used to image a 250 mm x 250 mm object onto a 10 mm x 10 mm detector. What is the overall object-to-image distance (throw)? Besides the exact solution, can you think of a reasonable approximation?

Homework Equations

Throw, T = l' - l
For a thin lens: (1/l') = (1/F) + (1/l)
For a thin lens in air: f = -F

The Attempt at a Solution

Since f = 50 mm was given, F = -50 mm. I'm thinking that if I could find either l' or l, I could then use the second equation to find the remaining unknown, and then plug into the equation for T. I'm not sure how to use the given dimensions for the object and detector. I know of no equations that incorporate the area, and I can't determine what else they could be used to describe.

You get the magnification from the given sizes of object and image. The image is on the detector, so it is real. How are l and l' related ?

ehild

M = l' / l

Is it correct to think that the lateral magnification is the ratio between the horizontal length of the image and that of the object? If so, then M = 10 mm / 250 mm = .04

l' = l*M so 1/F = 1/(l*M) - 1/l = 1/(l*M) - M/(l*M) = (1 - M)/(l*M)
=> l = F*(1 - M)/M

Aelo said:
M = l' / l

Is it correct to think that the lateral magnification is the ratio between the horizontal length of the image and that of the object? If so, then M = 10 mm / 250 mm = .04

take care of the sign of M.

ehild

Why would either 10 mm or 250 mm be negative? I understand l would be negative since it is measured from the lens to the object, so I agree that M should be negative, but I didn't think the dimensions of the object and image were given relative to anything. Is taking the ratio between horizontal lengths "one of those" formulas where I calculate the magnitude and have to come up with the sign independently?

We take the real image inverted, so its height negative.

ehild

Likes 1 person
Oh, it's the ratio of heights, not widths. Thank you very much for your help. :)

Aelo said:
Oh, it's the ratio of heights, not widths. Thank you very much for your help. :)

You are welcome. :smile:

ehild

What is object-to-image distance?

Object-to-image distance refers to the distance between an object and its resulting image, typically used in optics and photography.

How is object-to-image distance related to focal length?

The object-to-image distance is directly related to the focal length of a lens. As the object-to-image distance increases, the focal length also increases.

What factors affect the object-to-image distance?

The object-to-image distance can be affected by the focal length of the lens, the distance of the object from the lens, and the size of the image sensor or film being used.

How is object-to-image distance calculated?

The object-to-image distance is calculated by using the thin lens equation, which takes into account the focal length of the lens and the distance between the object and the lens.

Why is object-to-image distance important in photography?

Object-to-image distance is important in photography as it affects the size and sharpness of the resulting image. It also plays a role in determining the depth of field in an image.