Can Objects Continue Traveling Forever in a Vacuum?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an object traveling forever in a vacuum and whether it will eventually come to a stop due to deformation. The person asking the question did some research but was unable to find much information on the topic. They mention the possibility of the object being deformed by its own gravity, but others point out that this would have no effect on its velocity. The conversation also touches on the idea of the object being slowed down by impacts with interstellar debris, but it is noted that even in a vacuum, there are still particles present. Ultimately, it is agreed upon that the concept of an object coming to a stop in a vacuum is not scientifically accurate.
Biscuit
So a couple of days ago I ran into someone who said that an object traveling forever in a vacuum will eventually come to a stop due to deformation. After a little research I wasn't able to find much on the topic can someone explain it to me, and is it true that he object will eventually stop. Just off of the top of my head the only thing that I can think of that would deform an object in a vacuum would be its own gravity, but I doubt this because from my little understanding on the matter gravity and its object are at an equalibruim.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe deformation of the space-time?
Anyway, there is not much to talk about here. There is no way to find the context, probably, as it is just word of mouth.

OP,

That makes no sense at all.

For starters, there is no such thing as "come to a stop" in space. Best it can do is be at rest relative to some arbitrarily chosen point such as a nearby planet or star. On this alone, your friend is clearly naive about the physics. You could tell him that, and go no further.

Biscuit said:
Just off of the top of my head the only thing that I can think of that would deform an object in a vacuum would be its own gravity
If an object were big enough, it might eventually become spherical under its own gravity. But that will have zero effect on its velocity.

Perhaps he's thinking that sufficient impacts with interstellar debris will slow it to some average velocity.

In a vacuum the only thing which significantly can change the object's trajectory, (and possibly slightly deform the object), would be the gravity of other massive objects which it passes nearby.

rootone said:
In a vacuum the only thing which significantly can change the object's trajectory, (and possibly slightly deform the object it), would be the gravity of other massive objects which it passes nearby.
And impacts with bodies, gas, dust and other debris.

DaveC426913 said:
And impacts with bodies, gas, dust and other debris.
But then it isn't traveling in a vacuum.

Likes anandzoom
rootone said:
But then it isn't traveling in a vacuum.
Of course it is.

No vacuum is completely free of particles. Best natural (or even artificial) vacuum is measured in particles per unit volume.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_medium
Read paragraph 3 for some examples.

Well yes, there is no actual absolute vacuum in nature, so over a very long time the accumulation of minor impacts could slow it down.
I had read then OP as meaning an idealised vacuum with literally nothing at all present other than the object itself.

well thank you all for the answer, I was on your side in the first place. It did seem strange to me that he said this thank you for re-enforcing this for me. I would also like to say that when I say "come to a stop" don't try to take it too meaningful i think you know what i meant.

Biscuit said:
I would also like to say that when I say "come to a stop" don't try to take it too meaningful i think you know what i meant.
Yes, you meant something that is meaningless in actual physics which is why you got the answer you did. We DO tend to take actual physics as being meaningful.

What is a vacuum?

A vacuum is a space devoid of any matter or air molecules. It is created by removing all gas particles from a specific area.

How does an object travel in vacuum?

In a vacuum, there is no air resistance or friction, which allows objects to travel at a constant speed and direction until acted upon by an external force.

What is the speed of an object traveling in vacuum?

The speed of an object traveling in vacuum is determined by its initial velocity and the gravitational force acting upon it. In a vacuum, there is no air resistance, so the object will continue at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

Can sound travel in a vacuum?

No, sound waves cannot travel in a vacuum because they require a medium, such as air or water, for transmission. In a vacuum, there is no medium for sound waves to travel through, so they cannot be heard.

What is the significance of studying object traveling in vacuum?

The study of object traveling in vacuum is important for understanding the behavior of objects in extreme conditions and for the development of technologies such as space travel and satellite communication. It also helps us understand the laws of physics and how they apply in different environments.