Objective question related to aerodynamics

In summary, the lift to drag ratio is maximum when the rate of descent is minimum. The descent angle is maximum when the lift to weight ratio is maximum.
bourne
question) For maximum range of of a glider, which of the following is true?
a) lift to drag ratio is maximum
b) rate of descent is minimum
c)descent angle is maximum
d) lift to weight ratio is maximum

question) Total pressure at a point is defined as the pressure when the flow is brought to rest
a) adiabatically
b) isentropically
c) isothermally
d) isobarically

Physics news on Phys.org
Since this is obviously a homework problem, do you want to present your thoughts on the questions?

Welcome to the PF, bourne. I've moved your thread to one of the Homework Help forums.

Please tell us what the relevant equations and concepts are, and what your initial thoughts are on these questions. Then we will be able to offer tutorial help.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF, bourne. I've moved your thread to one of the Homework Help forums.

Please tell us what the relevant equations and concepts are, and what your initial thoughts are on these questions. Then we will be able to offer tutorial help.

well m not given any hints . my professor just asked me these questions outright.

bourne said:
well m not given any hints . my professor just asked me these questions outright.

and presented you with letter bulleted multiple choice multiple choices? even if he did no one is going to tell outright

berkeman said:

the total pressure is eqal to dynamic pressure plus the static pressure. but when a flow is brought to rest, the dynamic pressure becomes zero. the only pressure left is static pressure.when the flow is at rest the pressure at a point is same in all directions.But i dunt know how to coordinate this concept with the thermodynamic processes. In these thermodynamic processes like isothermal, adiabatic, isentropic pressure is never constant. So my guess is isobaric process. m i correct? Can you please tell me what exactly is happening?

ice109 said:
and presented you with letter bulleted multiple choice multiple choices? even if he did no one is going to tell outright

it was kindda surprise test. well i have presented my thoughts. Can you please correct me?

What is aerodynamics?

Aerodynamics is the study of how air flows around objects, specifically in relation to the forces that act upon them.

How is aerodynamics important in aviation?

Aerodynamics is crucial in aviation because it helps determine the performance and efficiency of aircraft, including factors such as lift, drag, and stability.

What are some common applications of aerodynamics?

Aerodynamics has many applications, including in the design of airplanes, cars, and wind turbines, as well as in sports such as cycling and skiing.

What are the basic principles of aerodynamics?

The basic principles of aerodynamics include Bernoulli's principle, which explains the relationship between air speed and pressure, and Newton's laws of motion, which describe how forces affect the motion of objects in air.

What factors can affect aerodynamic performance?

Aerodynamic performance can be affected by factors such as shape and design of the object, air density, air speed, and surface roughness. Other factors, such as temperature and humidity, can also have an impact on aerodynamics.