Objects in Space: Does Microgravity Change the Rules?

• Thread starter oumaima1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the question is whether the rule that objects moving at the same speed and line will not cause harm to each other applies in microgravity. The answer is that if the objects have mass, there will be a finite attraction force between them and their paths may converge or they may orbit each other. However, in outer space, the gravitational forces are not significant compared to electric forces, so two small objects would not coalesce but two rocks would not.
oumaima1
Hello ,i was reading a physics book and a question came up to my mind,i'm a high school student..About the rule : If objects are moving in the same speed and line,they'll cause no harm to each others..Is this rule the same in microgravity? I suppose some objects will be damaged..:)
Thank you in advance,
Have a nice day,
Ps:sorry ,for my weak english skills!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome.
If two objects are moving at the same velocity then they are not (by definition) converging so they cannot damage each other. If they have mass then they will have a finite attraction force between them and their paths will converge or they may actually orbit each other, depending on the exact circs..
Is that what you refer to as "micro gravity"?
Could you refine your question please? (Your English skills are quite OK! God you should see some of the sloppy posts some lazy people hit us with.)

I meant with ''micro gravity'' the outer space :) , I got your answer..
Yes,that's what i was refering..
Thank you very much ,Sophiecentaur..^^

Objects need to be very massive before the gravitational forces are significant compared with the electric forces that give them strength. Two small planets would eventually coalesc but two rocks never would. I'm not sure where the crossover lies. . . .

Hello,

Thank you for your question. I can tell you that the rule you mentioned about objects moving in the same speed and line causing no harm to each other is known as the principle of inertia in classical mechanics. This principle states that objects will continue to move at a constant speed and in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force.

In microgravity, objects are in a state of freefall and experience very little resistance or friction. This can make it seem like they are moving at the same speed and in the same direction, but in reality, they may be moving in slightly different paths due to the influence of other forces such as gravity or air resistance.

In addition, in microgravity, objects may collide with each other at higher velocities than they would on Earth due to the lack of resistance. This can result in damage or destruction of the objects involved.

Therefore, while the principle of inertia still applies in microgravity, the lack of resistance and the potential for higher velocities can lead to different outcomes when objects collide. It is important to consider all factors when studying the behavior of objects in space.

I hope this helps answer your question. Keep exploring and asking questions, and have a great day!

Sincerely,

Related to Objects in Space: Does Microgravity Change the Rules?

1. How does microgravity affect the human body?

Microgravity, also known as weightlessness, can have a significant impact on the human body. Without the constant force of gravity, bones and muscles can weaken and lose mass, and the cardiovascular system may have trouble regulating blood flow. In addition, the lack of gravity can cause changes in the inner ear, leading to balance issues and motion sickness.

2. What are the effects of microgravity on objects?

In microgravity, objects behave differently than they do on Earth. They may float or move in unexpected ways, as there is no force to keep them in place. In addition, surface tension and capillary action, which are usually overcome by gravity, can become more prominent in microgravity.

3. How does microgravity affect the growth of plants?

Plants grown in microgravity may have shorter roots and thicker stems compared to plants grown on Earth. This is because without the force of gravity, plants do not need to grow deep roots to anchor themselves. In addition, plants may have trouble orienting themselves towards a light source, leading to stunted growth.

4. Can objects be accelerated in microgravity?

Yes, objects can be accelerated in microgravity. In fact, astronauts on the International Space Station experience microgravity because they are constantly falling towards Earth, but they are also moving sideways at a fast enough speed to miss the planet. This is known as freefall, and it allows objects to be accelerated without the interference of gravity.

5. How does microgravity affect fluid behavior?

In microgravity, fluids behave differently due to the lack of gravity. For example, without the force of gravity pulling them down, bubbles in liquids do not rise to the surface, and instead form spheres. In addition, surface tension can be more pronounced, leading to more spherical shapes for liquid droplets.