Unpacking the Objects in the Category of Sets: Cardinality and Distinctions

• Thread starter AgentBased
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the category SET consists of (small) sets and objects in Set have a one-to-one correspondence with sets. Sets are distinguished by their cardinality, but can be replaced with their skeleton when convenient. The term "uncountable" refers to any cardinality greater than \aleph_0. Functions in SET go from one set to another, and there are constructions that can be done on functions in SET. The category Split(Set) is equivalent to Set, as Set already has images.
AgentBased
Can someone give a quick description of the objects in the category SET? In particular, are sets distinguished by anything more than cardinality (i.e. R^2 has the same cardinality as R--are they distinct objects in SET, or is there just one "uncountable set" object?)

Answers/help much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a one-to-one correspondence between (small) sets and objects in Set. So R and R2 are, indeed, distinct but isomorphic objects.

Set, of course, is equivalent to its skeleton, whose objects are (small) cardinal numbers. And c=c2. (I'm using c for the cardinality of R)

Many constructions with categories are only defined up to equivalence -- so you can often replace Set with its skeleton when its convenient to do so.

P.S. "uncountable" means any cardinality greater than [itex]\aleph_0[/itex]. I'm assuming you really meant just the cardinality of R

Thanks! (You are right, of course, I was being sloppy in using the term "uncountable" as I did.)

So suppose you had a function in SET, something like R^2 -> R^2 given by (x_1,x_2) -> (x_1,0). Would this arrow actually go from R^2 to itself, or to some distinct set object indicating the subset? (I am trying to determine idempotent arrows in SET, without being too blatant about it.)

AgentBased said:
R^2 -> R^2 ... Would this arrow actually go from R^2 to itself
Yes -- that's what "R2 -> R2" means.

There are a variety of algebraic manipulations you can do on a function -- things like invoke the existence of an epic-monic factorization, or use it to define an adjoint pair (inverse image, direct image) of functors on the poset Sub(R2) of subobjects of R2. (Set is nice enough to allow these constructions -- but they don't work in bad categories) I'm not really sure what you're looking for.

It almost sounds like you are talking about a construction I saw in Categories, Allegories by Freyd and Scedrov: they define a category Split(E) whose objects are the idempotents of E and Hom(e, e') consists of all morphisms of E satisfying xe = x = e'x.

Oh! Wikipedia has an article on it here.

For each idempotent in the category, this construction formally adds a new object representing its image. (which is named by the idempotent itself) Set already has images, though, so Split(Set) turns out to be equivalent to Set.

Thank you! I have some background in linear algebra and group theory, but I am just starting categories. I am trying to do some independent study in Categories for the Working Mathematician, and sometimes just a little clarification or explication helps so much when working on the exercises.

Related to Unpacking the Objects in the Category of Sets: Cardinality and Distinctions

1. What is a set in the context of scientific research?

A set is a collection of objects or elements that are grouped together based on a common characteristic or property. In scientific research, sets are often used to classify and organize data, observations, or samples.

2. How are sets different from other types of categories?

Sets are different from other types of categories, such as lists or hierarchies, because they do not have a specific order and do not allow for duplicates. Each element in a set is distinct and is either a member or not a member of the set.

3. What are some common examples of sets in scientific research?

Sets are commonly used in scientific research to classify organisms, chemicals, or data. For example, a set of mammal species, a set of chemical compounds, or a set of research participants can all be studied and analyzed using set theory.

4. How do scientists determine the elements of a set?

Scientists determine the elements of a set based on a specific characteristic or property that is shared by all the elements in the set. This can be done through observation, measurement, or other scientific methods.

5. Can sets be used in all areas of scientific research?

Yes, sets can be applied in various fields of scientific research, including biology, chemistry, physics, psychology, and more. They are a fundamental concept in mathematics and are widely used in many scientific disciplines.