Thanks for all that.
I just got a message from Nugatory saying that this forum has a policy not to give complete answers.
It is here to 'help people work things out for themselves'.
I wasn't aware of that. Didn't read the rule I suppose. Must be hard sometimes to figure out how much you can tell and how much you can't.
Must border on the absurd sometimes - how about you refute or contest some statement but forbear to explain your refutation on the grounds that they've got to 'work it out' ?
I told you I was a bit thick. And I am. Doesn't depress me too much because, of course, there's much I can comprehend and enjoy in life - and there even appear to be a fair few even thicker than myself, so I can indulge my baser instincts sometimes...
But, yes, thick. And so I don't really understand all that's been said to me.
My take on it is that its all just reiteration of the Lorentz transform principle which I've stated I've got some understanding of (well, follow the basic maths) and which is implicit anyway in my question - where I state that we'll see different speeds to that which the people in the spaceship see.
And I'm thinking now that Nugatory's formula is simply the Lorentz transform minus the 'divided by c²' bit - which I've seen other people neglect on the grounds at 'it is just a constant'. i.e., I suppose they're saying that the relationships indicated in the formula remain true without the constant which merely changes quantities - moves lines on graph? Something like that?
I've always been interested in that, though, ever since I first met a guy saying stuff like that. I don't see it as 'just a constant' simply because the number is the speed of light. Why that particular speed, see?
And because it is a speed. A speed has time intimately involved in it. In that term there I see time as being involved in the e=mc² and I like that, think it's right.
Anyway, I'm just blathering, which I'm prone to do.
I am very satisfied. I asked about the speed and the answer I wanted was the answer I got: 1.9c.
Then it looked for a while like Nugatory was saying it wouldn't be 1.9c because of his formula.
Now, because of Harrylin, who repeats everything I first thought and said but who will be, I assume, as mathematically learned and capable as most on these forums, it looks again like 1.9c.
So I came with a question, was illuminated with the light of knowledge, then thrown into the darkness of uncertainty and finally relased into the light again.
Happy days.
:)
p.s.
I will try not ask any questions to which I need the answer.