Obtaining Spherical Harmonics to Normalized Angular Wave Functions

In summary, the normalized angular wave functions, called spherical harmonics, can be represented by the equation Y^m_l(theta,phi) = epsilon*sqrt((2l+1)/(4pi))*((l-|m|)!/(l+|m|)!)*e^(imphi)*P^m_l(cos theta). To obtain this equation from the given source, the normalisation condition for Y must be satisfied, where 0 < phi < 2pi and 0 < theta < pi. Y can be broken down into two separate functions, Theta(theta) and Phi(phi), where Theta is represented by A*P^m_l(cos theta) and Phi is represented by e^(imphi). The coefficient A can
TimeRip496
The normalized angular wave functions are called spherical harmonics: $$Y^m_l(\theta,\phi)=\epsilon\sqrt{\frac{(2l+1)}{4\pi}\frac{(l-|m|)!}{(l+|m|)!}}e^{im\phi}*P^m_l(cos\theta)$$
How do I obtain this from this(http://www.physics.udel.edu/~msafrono/424-2011/Lecture 17.pdf) (Page 8)?

The normalisation condition for Y is $$\int^{2\pi}_0\int^{\pi}_0|Y|^2\sin\theta d\theta d\phi=1$$ Note that 0<∅<2π and 0<θ<π.

$$Y=\Theta(\theta)*\Phi(\phi)$$.
$$\Theta(\theta)=A*P^m_l(cos\theta)$$ where A is the coefficient, x=cosθ, P is the associated Legendre Polynomial.
$$\Phi(\phi)=e^{im\phi}$$
$$Y^m_l(\theta,\phi)=A*e^{im\phi}P^m_l(cos\theta)$$
where $$A=\epsilon\sqrt{\frac{(2l+1)}{4\pi}\frac{(l-|m|)!}{(l+|m|)!}}$$.
I know how to obtain Φ but not A from Θ(θ), which is why I don't know how to obtain the spherical harmonics equation above.

Physics news on Phys.org
TimeRip496 said:
$$\Phi(\phi)=e^{im\phi}$$
Thats is not normalized in ##\phi##.

TimeRip496 said:
$$Y^m_l(\theta,\phi)=A*e^{im\phi}P^m_l(cos\theta)$$
where $$A=\epsilon\sqrt{\frac{(2l+1)}{4\pi}\frac{(l-|m|)!}{(l+|m|)!}}$$.
I know how to obtain Φ but not A from Θ(θ), which is why I don't know how to obtain the spherical harmonics equation above.
What is the orthogonality relation for the Legendre polynomial?

Likes TimeRip496
DrClaude said:
Thats is not normalized in ##\phi##.What is the orthogonality relation for the Legendre polynomial?
DrClaude said:
Thats is not normalized in ##\phi##.What is the orthogonality relation for the Legendre polynomial?
They are orthogonal to each other.
$$\int^1_{-1}P^m_lP^m_ldx=\frac{2}{2p+1}\frac{(p+m)!}{(p-m)!}\delta_{pq}$$
$$\int^{2\pi}_{0}e^{2im\phi}\int^\pi_{0}A^2P^m_lP^m_lsin \theta d\theta d\phi=\int^{2\pi}_{0}e^{2im\phi}[A^2(\frac{4}{2p+1}\frac{(p+m)!}{(p-m)!})]d\phi$$
I am stuck at here cause when I integrate the e2im∅, I get a zero value which make the equation unsolvable.
$$\int^{2\pi}_{0}e^{2im\phi}d\phi=[\frac{e^{2im\phi}}{2im}]^{2\pi}_0=\frac{1}{2im}-\frac{1}{2im}=0$$

TimeRip496 said:
T
I am stuck at here cause when I integrate the e2im∅, I get a zero value which make the equation unsolvable.
$$\int^{2\pi}_{0}e^{2im\phi}d\phi=[\frac{e^{2im\phi}}{2im}]^{2\pi}_0=\frac{1}{2im}-\frac{1}{2im}=0$$
The spherical harmonics are complex, so the scalar product is
$$
\left( Y_l^m, Y_{l'}^{m'} \right) = \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^\pi \left[ Y_l^{m} (\theta,\phi)\right]^* Y_{l'}^{m'} (\theta,\phi) \sin\theta d\theta d\phi
$$

Likes TimeRip496
DrClaude said:
The spherical harmonics are complex, so the scalar product is
$$
\left( Y_l^m, Y_{l'}^{m'} \right) = \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^\pi \left[ Y_l^{m} (\theta,\phi)\right]^* Y_{l'}^{m'} (\theta,\phi) \sin\theta d\theta d\phi
$$
Thanks but i still did not get the correct answer.
$$\int^{2\pi}_{0}e^{im\phi}*e^{-im\phi}d\phi=\int^{2\pi}_{0}e^{0}d\phi=2\pi$$
$$\int^{2\pi}_{0}e^{0}d\phi\int^\pi_{0}A^2P^m_lP^m_ld\theta\int^\pi_{0}sin \theta d\theta =(2\pi)[A^2(\frac{2}{2p+1}\frac{(p+m)!}{(p-m)!})](2)=[A^2(\frac{8}{2p+1}\frac{(p+m)!}{(p-m)!})]$$
Cause $$\int^{\pi}_0 sin\theta d\theta =2$$
The correct answer should be $$[A^2(\frac{4}{2p+1}\frac{(p+m)!}{(p-m)!})]$$ where it should be 4 instead of 8.
Where do I go wrong?

TimeRip496 said:
Cause $$\int^{\pi}_0 sin\theta d\theta =2$$
There is no such integral in the problem. Start from orthogonality condition you had in post #3 and make the substitution ##x = \cos \theta##.

Likes TimeRip496
DrClaude said:
There is no such integral in the problem. Start from orthogonality condition you had in post #3 and make the substitution ##x = \cos \theta##.
Thanks a lot!

1. What are spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics are a mathematical function that describes the oscillation of a spherical object. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to represent the behavior of sound waves, electromagnetic fields, and other physical phenomena.

2. How are spherical harmonics calculated?

Spherical harmonics are calculated using a combination of trigonometric functions and Legendre polynomials. These calculations can be complex, but there are software programs and online calculators available to assist with the process.

3. What are some real-world applications of spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics have a wide range of applications in various fields, including acoustics, geophysics, and computer graphics. They are used to analyze and model sound waves, map the Earth's gravitational field, and create realistic lighting effects in computer-generated images.

4. How do spherical harmonics relate to the shape of the Earth?

Spherical harmonics are used to describe the Earth's geoid, which is the theoretical surface that represents the shape of the Earth when accounting for variations in gravity and topography. The coefficients of spherical harmonics are used to create a model of the geoid, which is then used for navigation and mapping purposes.

5. Are spherical harmonics only applicable to spheres?

No, despite their name, spherical harmonics can also be used to describe the behavior of objects with spherical symmetry, such as ellipsoids or even molecules. They are also used in the study of quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of electrons in an atom.