1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oceanography would be a good major

1. Aug 11, 2008 #1
    I am about to apply to colleges and was wondering if oceanography would be a good major and your views on this major. Would it be better to double major in physics and oceanography or just major in physics? Just wondering your views.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Re: Oceanography

Yes - oceanography would be a good major, and oceanography+physics would be even better, although a double major would be a lot of (hard) work.

There are research organizations like Scripps or Woods Hole where one could do research, but there are also exploration companies exploring for oil/gas and minerals offshore.

Oceans provide a tremendous amount of food to the world, and understanding the nuances of the oceans will become more critical in the near and long term.
  4. Aug 13, 2008 #3

I was thinking the same thing about oceanography and physics being a hard double major. If I major in only physics will I still be able to find a job working as a oceanographer? I was also wondering if it would be better to get my undergrad in physics and grad in oceanography? I know I am asking a lot of questions but here is one more. If I get a degree in geolgy would that be better because it is more broad than oceanography?

Thanks alot in advance any comments welcome
  5. Aug 13, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

There is also the possibility of Geophysics or Earth Science as an alternative to Geology.

FYI -

See this - Introduction to Physical Oceanography (downloadable)

School of Oceanography, University of Washington

Graduate School of Oceanography, University of Rhode Island

Department of Oceanography - http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/oceanography/
    at the University of Hawai`i at Manoa

The Skidaway Institute of Oceanography (Univ. of Georgia) - http://www.skio.peachnet.edu/

UEA Meteorology, Oceanography and Climate Dynamics

National Oceanography Centre, Southampton

See also - ICES Journal of Marine Science: Journal du Conseil

ICES/CIEM International Council for the Exploration of the Sea/Conseil International pour l'Exploration de la Mer
  6. Aug 14, 2008 #5

Thanks alot for all of the information university of delaware is very inviting since it is also close to my home which is a plus for me. U of D also has a great undergrad research program which is also good.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?