OCR A-Level Physics: Qs on Waves, Fringes, Resonance & Energy

• Thread starter Modjib
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, the fringes that you get on an OCR exam are from diffraction patterns in light. Resonance is when you have an integer number of half wavelengths on a string, and it changes for musical instruments depending on whether one side of the instrument is open or both sides.
Modjib
I'm doing A-level OCR physics exam and I'm very confused on what is the difference between "first bright fringe","first dark fringe" "2nd bright fringe" "Maxima", "Minima", "Maximum", "Minimum", "Destructive interference", "Constructive interference".
I always think that:
First bright fringe = Maxima = Maximum = Constructive interference. and
First Dark fringe = Minima = Minimum = Destructive interference.
Is this right? And in the exam which one should i talk about because every time the answer is different.

Also what is Resonance? #
And what is energy levels?
Please my exam is soon, so please try to be quick,
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe maxima is just the plural for maximum, and the same goes for minima and minimum.

I'm not sure what OCR is, but the fringes that you get are going to be from diffraction patterns in light, either through a slit or some kind of diffraction grating.

Resonance, when talking about standing waves or music, is when you have an integer number of half wavelengths on a string, and it changes for musical instruments depending on whether one side of the instrument is open or both sides.

This site should help you out for resonance:

physics.info/waves-standing/

Hope this helps and good luck!

ppfn said:
I believe maxima is just the plural for maximum, and the same goes for minima and minimum.

I'm not sure what OCR is, but the fringes that you get are going to be from diffraction patterns in light, either through a slit or some kind of diffraction grating.

Resonance, when talking about standing waves or music, is when you have an integer number of half wavelengths on a string, and it changes for musical instruments depending on whether one side of the instrument is open or both sides.

This site should help you out for resonance:

physics.info/waves-standing/

Hope this helps and good luck!
Thanks, that was helpful.
What are energy levels?

ppfn said:
I'm not sure what OCR is
I think OCR stands for "Oxford, Cambridge and RSA Examinations" one of the three exam boards in England (the other two being Edexcel and AQA).

I can understand your confusion about these terms. Let me clarify them for you.

First, let's discuss the fringes. In physics, fringes refer to the patterns of light and dark bands that are produced when light waves interact with each other or with a surface. These patterns can be observed in phenomena such as interference and diffraction.

The terms "first bright fringe" and "first dark fringe" refer to the first light and dark bands respectively that are observed in these patterns. So, when we say "first bright fringe", we are referring to the first band of light that appears in the pattern, and when we say "first dark fringe", we are referring to the first band of darkness.

Similarly, "2nd bright fringe" refers to the second band of light, and so on. "Maxima" and "minima" are general terms used to describe any bright or dark band in the pattern, while "maximum" and "minimum" refer to the highest and lowest points of the pattern respectively.

Now, let's talk about interference. Interference occurs when two or more waves overlap and either reinforce or cancel each other out. "Constructive interference" refers to the reinforcement of waves, resulting in a larger amplitude or brighter band in the pattern. On the other hand, "destructive interference" refers to the cancelation of waves, resulting in a smaller amplitude or darker band in the pattern.

In your understanding, you are correct that first bright fringe = maxima = maximum = constructive interference. Similarly, first dark fringe = minima = minimum = destructive interference.

Moving on to resonance, it is a phenomenon that occurs when an object or system is forced to vibrate at its natural frequency. This results in a large amplitude of vibration and can lead to the production of sound or light. In simpler terms, it is like pushing someone on a swing at just the right time to make them go higher and higher.

Finally, energy levels refer to the different energy states that an atom or molecule can exist in. These levels are quantized, meaning they can only have certain discrete values. When energy is added or removed from a system, it can cause the electrons in atoms or molecules to move between these energy levels, resulting in the emission or absorption of light.

In your exam, you should be able to explain the differences between these terms and use them appropriately in your answers. I hope this helps clarify your understanding. Good luck on your exam!

Related to OCR A-Level Physics: Qs on Waves, Fringes, Resonance & Energy

1. What is the difference between amplitude and wavelength?

Amplitude refers to the maximum displacement of a wave from its resting position, while wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave. In other words, amplitude measures the intensity or strength of a wave, while wavelength measures its size or length.

2. How does resonance occur?

Resonance occurs when an object is forced to vibrate at its natural frequency by an external force. This results in a dramatic increase in amplitude, as the energy of the external force is transferred to the object's internal energy. In the case of sound waves, resonance can occur when a sound source is placed near a resonance cavity, causing the air inside the cavity to vibrate at its natural frequency.

3. What is the principle of superposition?

The principle of superposition states that when two or more waves meet at a point, the displacement of the resulting wave is the sum of the individual displacements of each wave. This means that waves can overlap and create a new wave with a different amplitude and frequency.

4. How do fringes in interference patterns form?

Fringes in interference patterns form when two or more coherent waves overlap and interfere with each other. This interference can result in constructive interference, where the waves reinforce each other and create areas of increased amplitude, or destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out and create areas of decreased amplitude.

5. What is the relationship between energy and frequency of a wave?

The relationship between energy and frequency of a wave is directly proportional. This means that as the frequency of a wave increases, its energy also increases. This is because the energy of a wave is directly related to its amplitude, and higher frequency waves have higher amplitudes.