Is the existence of life just a series of improbable accidents?

• Thread starter Dook
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the conversation discusses the precision of atoms and the probability of life existing by chance alone. The speaker argues that the probability cannot be determined post-event and that the concept of "intelligent design" is flawed. They also mention the subjective perception of impossibilities.
Dook
I've heard that the nature of an atom is extremely precise, just .0000001 difference and stability becomes impossible.

I'm sure there are other chance happenings in the universe that defy the odds.

When all of these accidents are looked at statistically doesn't it seem impossible for life to exist by chance alone?

Space news on Phys.org
This is really a philosophical question and not one of physics. This has already been discussed and debated many times.

Dook said:
I've heard that the nature of an atom is extremely precise, just .0000001 difference and stability becomes impossible. I'm sure there are other chance happenings in the universe that defy the odds. When all of these accidents are looked at statistically doesn't it seem impossible for life to exist by chance alone?
Only if you look at all of the accidents as a "set", and then attempt (falsely) to apply the mathematics of sets to the odds (probability) of each individual step-by-step event. What you must understand is that the cumulative process of individual "chance" events that resulted in the formation of life on Earth was not holistically a chance event, but directed by "nonrandom" reproduction of genotypes (this is why Charles Darwin made a name for himself--he gave a name to this process--he called it "natural selection"). May I suggest a book for you to read that deals with this subject of chance events as relates to formation of life on earth--The Blind Watchmaker, Richard Dawkins, 1987.

Didn't we just have this argument? You cannot assert probabilities "a-posteriori". I cannot, for example, pick a number out of 10000, get the number "36347" and claim "Aha! If my choice were random, the probability of getting that particular number would be only 1/10000 so obviously my pick was not random. It was clearly guided by some 'intelligent design'!"

If certain things had not happened the way they did, we would not be here to ask the question. You are welcome to use the fact that we are here to ask to question to assert that things did happen that way but you cannot talk about a probability for what did happen.

(This reminds me of the standard "fortune teller" strategy for success- predict that a large number of things are going to happen. Those that don't happen you don't mention- those that do, you say "See, what did I tell you!")

HallsofIvy said:
Didn't we just have this argument? You cannot assert probabilities "a-posteriori". I cannot, for example, pick a number out of 10000, get the number "36347" and claim "Aha! If my choice were random, the probability of getting that particular number would be only 1/10000 so obviously my pick was not random.
It seems to me that the chance of picking the number thirtysix thousand threehundred-fortyseven out of ten thousand is ZERO.

Anything could be considered impossible or simply everyday routine. It is mostly tied up to our subjective perception of things. Anyways the following thread may help understand better:

http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=149592

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Is the existence of life just a series of improbable accidents?

What is the concept of "Odds against the Universe"?

The concept of "Odds against the Universe" refers to the incredibly low probability of the universe and life as we know it existing by chance. It is a way to measure the likelihood of such a complex and intricate system coming into existence without the influence of a higher power.

What factors influence the odds against the Universe?

There are many factors that influence the odds against the Universe, including the laws of physics, the conditions of the early universe, and the formation of stars and planets. Additionally, the chances of life forming and evolving on a planet are also considered in these odds.

How are the odds against the Universe calculated?

The odds against the Universe are calculated using various scientific theories, such as the Big Bang theory and the principles of evolution. Scientists also take into account observational data and mathematical models to estimate the likelihood of our universe and life arising by chance.

What are some theories that attempt to explain the low odds against the Universe?

Some theories that attempt to explain the low odds against the Universe include the multiverse theory, which suggests that there may be many universes with different physical laws, and the anthropic principle, which suggests that the universe is finely tuned for the existence of life.

What impact does the concept of "Odds against the Universe" have on science and philosophy?

The concept of "Odds against the Universe" has sparked debates and discussions in both the scientific and philosophical communities. It raises questions about the origins of the universe, the role of chance and probability in our existence, and the possibility of a higher power. It also highlights the complexity and uniqueness of our universe and the need for further research and exploration.