ODE System Solution Maple: Plotting Earth's Orbit with Sun at Origin

In summary, the person was having trouble plotting an ODE solution for the orbit of Earth with the Sun at the origin. They were using the ODE Analyzer and the plot they were getting did not match their expectations. They asked for help and provided the code they used, but it was not helpful. The other person tried using the same code with different values and was able to get the expected plot using Euler in Excel. They also asked for the units of the values and time used.
incredibe1999
Hey there! I was trying to plot a ODE solution, but am not getting what I should be. It is actually plotting the orbit of Earth with Sun at the origin.
My equations
upload_2018-4-5_18-53-13.png

The (-0.00011847) is GM.
The Initial Conditions:
upload_2018-4-5_18-54-10.png

The plot I get:
upload_2018-4-5_18-54-28.png

Should not I be getting a elliptic/circular plot as the orbital positions of the Earth? Also, here the period is t=1. The position is supposed to be same at t=0 and t=1. Help, please!

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-5_18-53-13.png
    upload_2018-4-5_18-53-13.png
    4 KB · Views: 985
  • upload_2018-4-5_18-54-10.png
    upload_2018-4-5_18-54-10.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 947
  • upload_2018-4-5_18-54-28.png
    upload_2018-4-5_18-54-28.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 642
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the code you used to generate this plot?

scottdave said:
What is the code you used to generate this plot?
I used the ODE Analyzer.

Well, that is not very helpful for us in finding out what goes wrong.

If I use your picture (please post something one can copy as text next time -- it avoids typos) but take different values, even good old Euler in Excel gets me a plot I expect:

upload_2018-4-8_12-59-20.png

values:
Code:
dt 0,01
x_0 1
y_0 0
vx_0 0
vy_0 1
GM 1
so the expressions look OK (provided I reproduced them correctly)

Now: what are the units for your values (and for time) ?

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-8_12-59-20.png
    upload_2018-4-8_12-59-20.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 563

1. How does Maple solve ODE systems?

Maple uses numerical methods, such as the Runge-Kutta method, to solve ODE systems. It also has built-in functions for symbolic solutions and plots of ODE systems.

2. What is an ODE system?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) system is a set of equations that involve one or more unknown functions and their derivatives with respect to one or more independent variables. These systems are used to model real-world phenomena in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. Can Maple plot orbits for other celestial bodies?

Yes, Maple can plot orbits for any celestial body as long as the necessary data, such as mass and initial conditions, are provided. It can also plot orbits for multiple celestial bodies in a single system.

4. How accurate are the plotted orbits in Maple?

The accuracy of the plotted orbits depends on the accuracy of the data and the chosen numerical method. Maple allows users to adjust the precision and step size of the calculations, which can improve the accuracy of the plotted orbits.

5. Is Maple suitable for advanced ODE system solutions?

Yes, Maple has advanced features and functions for solving and analyzing ODE systems, making it suitable for advanced applications. It also has a user-friendly interface and extensive documentation for users of all levels.