ODE with a function of variable crazy equ

In summary: The equation is an energy balance equation. The efficiency of the system, η, is a function of the temperature of the system, T. When power, heat, is incident, T will rise. Additionally, η will vary depending on the behavior of η(T).
anirudhnandan
How to solve a equation of this kind

T' = a*(T^4 - r^4) + b*(T^4 - s^4) + P*(1 - η(T))

The above equation is driving me nuts... the 'η' is a function of T(Temperature) the efficiency and initial value of T is known.
Say at t = 0 T is 298
Need help! Please!

I need to find the temperature of the system after a given time say 60s...

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I'm assuming that T' means dT/dt, and that a, b, P, r and s are not functions of t.

If it were the case, this is a separable DE, and can be solved by the standard way.

The only problem is you will get t as a function of T, instead of T as a function of t as wished, but I'm afraid this is the closest you can get of an analytical solution.

However, if you need only numbers, i strongly suggest integrating it numerically, as it is a much easier way to get the answer you need.

anirudhnandan said:
How to solve a equation of this kind

T' = a*(T^4 - r^4) + b*(T^4 - s^4) + P*(1 - η(T))

The above equation is driving me nuts... the 'η' is a function of T(Temperature) the efficiency and initial value of T is known.
Say at t = 0 T is 298
Need help! Please!

I need to find the temperature of the system after a given time say 60s...

My amateur answer :uhh: is I would have thought:
you can solve

T' = a*(T^4 - r^4)

It is a 'straightforward' integration - I think I have done it buried in one of my early posts here somewhere. Standardish anyway. Edit: now I remember one way was to express (T4 - r 4) as (T2 - r2)(T2 - r2) then you have a simple partial fractions problem and then standard integrals.

You can integrate each term. Then any linear combination of those integrals plus and arbitrary constant determined by the physics should be a solution of the overall equation.

Then you have two problems.

One is whether this is the most general solution. On a quick look it seemed to me it is but anyway get a solution first.

The other is that last term. As we don't know the form of η we can only write for the integral of the last term P*(x - ∫ η(T) dT ) . Then if η is given as data integrate that graphically or numerically. But I would guess that this is a function varying much more lowly than the fourth powers you have in your other terms so is a relatively small correction, and that it is adequately modeled by a simple expression perhaps empirical, e.g. linear or quadratic.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks for taking time and answering my question. I know to solve for T^4 terms. Thats not the problem.
And I don't require analytical solution. I am interested only in numbers. I think you would have realized that the equation is an energy balance equation. 'η' is the efficiency of the system which is a function of 'T' the temperature of the system. If η were a constant, I would simply integrate it. But, η(T) will vary as T increases. When power 'P' i.e. heat is incident, T will rise... will the rise be determined only by material constants? No...

Rise in T will also be affected by the behavior of η(T). η is a complex program.
My intention is this...
I have written a program for η... I want to call it in the energy balance equation and pass 'T' as a parameter into η. As η decreases with T... Rise in T will be more dramatic at higher temperatures...

Please help...

Is this form of energy balance equation correct?

ρ*A*C*T'n = σ(T^4 - con1^4) + σ(T^4 - con2^4) + Pin(1 - η(Tn-1))

That is passing 'n-1' value of T as a parameter into η function...

By T' I mean dT/dt

at t = 0; T = 298

What is an ODE?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that describes how a variable changes over time, based on its current value and rate of change.

What is a function of a variable?

A function of a variable is a mathematical expression that relates a set of inputs (variables) to a set of outputs (values). The output of a function depends on the input value of the variable.

What makes an ODE "crazy"?

The term "crazy" is often used to describe ODEs that have complex or chaotic solutions. This can be due to the presence of non-linear terms or multiple variables in the equation.

What is a "variable" in an ODE?

A variable in an ODE is a quantity that can change over time. It could represent physical quantities such as position, velocity, or temperature, and can depend on other variables in the equation.

How do you solve an ODE with a function of variable crazy equ?

Solving an ODE with a function of variable crazy equ requires the use of mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or numerical methods. The exact method will depend on the specific equation and its complexity.