Off beat question about grad school

In summary, graduate students typically use a variety of bags, such as backpacks, messenger bags, and purses, to carry their books and supplies. Some prefer to leave their books at home and only carry a laptop, while others use a backpack to distribute weight. However, there are also some who opt to hire someone to carry their bags for them. Ultimately, the choice of bag is a matter of preference and comfort.
drewnyl
I have a different sort of question about grad school. I graduated from university over 25 years ago and recently decided to go back and do a PhD in math. I will start in the fall. I was just wondering, how do graduate student carry their books and supplies? Backpack? A Bag? By hand? I don't really remember what I used in college...

Physics news on Phys.org
Books? What are books? :smile:

I left my books in my office and carried a single folder with loose leaf paper for notes. After the class, I would rewrite the notes if necessary, and place them in a binder. That works even today.

drewnyl said:
I was just wondering, how do graduate student carry their books and supplies? Backpack? A Bag? By hand?
Whatever works for you. The grad students (and professors) I know use anything from a purse/tote to a messenger bag to a bookbag. I'm planning to use a messenger bag 'cause that's what I've been using since elementary school, but it's really totally a matter of preference/comfort. Neither grad course I'm taking/sitting in on this semester requires a book, and very few courses in general require students to bring books to class.

I left my books in my office and carried a single folder with loose leaf paper for notes.
I basically do the same when my class is in the same building as my lab, but next year my courses are going to be half way across the city.

drewnyl said:
I was just wondering, how do graduate student carry their books and supplies?

Do you mean between home and office or between office and class? Between office and class, I, too, used a folder. Between home and office, I used (and still use) a backpack. I prefer not to carry stuff (books, bags, etc.) with my hands when I walk any distance. As a grad student, I had a twenty-five minute walk between home and office, and I currently get off my bus about seventeen minutes from home.

In any case, good luck!

drewnyl said:
I have a different sort of question about grad school. I graduated from university over 25 years ago and recently decided to go back and do a PhD in math. I will start in the fall. I was just wondering, how do graduate student carry their books and supplies? Backpack? A Bag? By hand? I don't really remember what I used in college...

A backpack usually.

I still use a backpack even going to work and conferences.

Zz.

Using donkeys with saddlebags is quite the fashion here in Norway at the moment. :smile:

I usually leave my books at home and avoid carrying them at all. I do carry a laptop in my backpack, though, and occasionally just one book if I think I'll need it.

I don't think anyone will particularly care what kind of bag you use. Laptop bags and briefcases are also used. But a backpack is the best way to distribute weight if you're carrying a lot.

I hired a small South American boy to carry my bags.

MotoH said:
I hired a small South American boy to carry my bags.

Its people like you who disgust me, driving up prices like that. There was a time when this was feasible, before the dark times, before increased demand...

drewnyl said:
I used a heavy-duty backpack - because I had library books as well. My bag probably weighed 40 lbs or so.

A big backpack. Other than notes/books, I put coffee mug and other important possessions (pens, pencils, calculator, coins, a sweater sometimes, earphones, some scrap paper ... and sometimes laptop ) in it.

1. What is the difference between a thesis and a dissertation?

A thesis is a research project that is required for obtaining a master's degree. It is usually shorter in length and focuses on a specific topic. A dissertation is a longer research project that is required for obtaining a doctoral degree. It is more comprehensive and in-depth, and often involves original research.

2. How long does it typically take to complete a graduate program?

The length of a graduate program can vary depending on the field of study, specific program requirements, and the individual's pace of progress. On average, a master's program can take 1-2 years to complete, while a doctoral program can take 4-6 years.

3. Can I work while pursuing a graduate degree?

It is possible to work while pursuing a graduate degree, but it can be challenging to balance work and academic responsibilities. Some programs may offer part-time options or online courses to accommodate working students. It is important to carefully consider your schedule and workload before committing to both work and graduate studies.

4. What is the difference between a research-based program and a professional program?

A research-based program focuses on developing research skills and conducting original research in a specific field. It is often a requirement for pursuing a career in academia or research. A professional program, on the other hand, emphasizes practical skills and prepares students for a specific profession or industry.

5. How can I fund my graduate studies?

There are various ways to fund graduate studies, including scholarships, grants, assistantships, and student loans. It is important to research and apply for funding opportunities early on in the application process. Many universities also offer financial aid offices that can provide guidance and assistance in finding funding options.