Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Off beat question about grad school!

1. Feb 14, 2010 #1
    I have a different sort of question about grad school. I graduated from university over 25 years ago and recently decided to go back and do a PhD in math. I will start in the fall. I was just wondering, how do graduate student carry their books and supplies? Backpack? A Bag? By hand? I don't really remember what I used in college...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2010 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Books? What are books? :smile:

I left my books in my office and carried a single folder with loose leaf paper for notes. After the class, I would rewrite the notes if necessary, and place them in a binder. That works even today.

4. Feb 14, 2010 #3
    Whatever works for you. The grad students (and professors) I know use anything from a purse/tote to a messenger bag to a bookbag. I'm planning to use a messenger bag 'cause that's what I've been using since elementary school, but it's really totally a matter of preference/comfort. Neither grad course I'm taking/sitting in on this semester requires a book, and very few courses in general require students to bring books to class.

I basically do the same when my class is in the same building as my lab, but next year my courses are gonna be half way across the city.

5. Feb 14, 2010 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you mean between home and office or between office and class? Between office and class, I, too, used a folder. Between home and office, I used (and still use) a backpack. I prefer not to carry stuff (books, bags, etc.) with my hands when I walk any distance. As a grad student, I had a twenty-five minute walk between home and office, and I currently get off my bus about seventeen minutes from home.

In any case, good luck!

6. Feb 14, 2010 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

A backpack usually.

I still use a backpack even going to work and conferences.

Zz.

7. Feb 14, 2010 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Using donkeys with saddlebags is quite the fashion here in Norway at the moment. :smile:

8. Feb 14, 2010 #7

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I usually leave my books at home and avoid carrying them at all. I do carry a laptop in my backpack, though, and occasionally just one book if I think I'll need it.

I don't think anyone will particularly care what kind of bag you use. Laptop bags and briefcases are also used. But a backpack is the best way to distribute weight if you're carrying a lot.

9. Feb 14, 2010 #8
    I hired a small South American boy to carry my bags.

10. Feb 14, 2010 #9
    Its people like you who disgust me, driving up prices like that. There was a time when this was feasible, before the dark times, before increased demand...

11. Feb 14, 2010 #10

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I used a heavy-duty backpack - because I had library books as well. My bag probably weighed 40 lbs or so.

12. Feb 14, 2010 #11
    A big backpack. Other than notes/books, I put coffee mug and other important possessions (pens, pencils, calculator, coins, a sweater sometimes, earphones, some scrap paper ... and sometimes laptop ) in it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook