Is Democratic Reality the Key to Truth?

• Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    apple x86
In summary: As to your point that "compatibility...is defining more standards to allow interoperability between operating systems and architectures" all I can say is, you've had your chance, and it didn't get done. If it had, the other platforms and OSs wouldn't be at the edge of extinction.
OpenBoot is really what makes PowerPC hardware special. If you don't understand what it is, then you should not be talking about PC/x86 superiority.

Whats your point? I never was talking about superiority of PC's I was making a point that Dell/PC/x86's have more choose for OS's. As faust9 said ' the dell has an inferior OS BTW' its a matter of opinion, I am not talking about the hardware I was talking about his opinion of OS's... For my Job I wouldn't dream of using OSx. You just don't have enough tools for doing network analysis, Plus Last time I looked Cisco Works wasnt running on Apples.

If you or any of the other Apple 'l33t' Army want to start writing good network tools for apple OSx then I may give it a shot, but until this point, I wont... A little more on topic, if I was able to run OSx on a PC then I would probably have it on an old box here just to play with, but looks like Apple won't be doing that!

Computer science news on Phys.org
the dell has an inferior OS BTW

Also your 'opinion' is unjust, and to many many people wrong

familure with an operating system other than Windows that you are probably not too familure with anything outside the relm of WinTel

This is just blanten slander! You have no idea what I do for a living or what system I admin, so don't for one second think that I don't know 'anything outside of the relm of WinTel'

I work with *nix (HP-UNX, Fedora core, Red hat 9/7) Cisco IOS daily...

Pfft and what gives you the 'high ground'?

Last edited:
Anttech said:
Also your 'opinion' is unjust, and to many many people wrong

Since when is what people think the arbiter of truth? Last time i checked, reality was not democratic. Whether Windows is inferior is independent of what the 6 billion sheeple think.

Apparently, OSX for x86 has been leaked on the internet and works on non-apple hardware. The article has been slashdotted so here is the text of it off of macdailynews.com

Report: Apple Mac OS X 10.4.1 for Intel hits piracy sites

Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 12:14 PM EST

"There is nothing at all that prevents the version of Mac OS X that runs on the developer transition machines from running on any PC with compatible components," Jeff Harrell writes for The Shape of Days. "The Intel-based Power Macintoshes that Apple is showing at their developer conference are based on an Intel motherboard, generic Intel graphics and off-the-shelf Pentium 4 CPUs... I estimate that we're down to a matter of hours before Mac OS X 10.4.1 for Intel hardware is available for download on Internet software piracy sites and peer-to-peer piracy networks. (Update: A reader who for obvious reasons wishes to remain anonymous just demonstrated to me that the software is, in fact, already available on Internet software piracy sites.) If I can think through this stuff, Apple's management can think through this stuff. This is the most awe-inspiring stealth marketing move I've ever seen."

"According to reports, Apple's bundled iLife applications, major selling points for the Mac operating system, are already Intel-native and run at full speed... Given Apple's experiences with software piracy, particularly the rampant software piracy that spread developer builds of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger all over the Internet this past spring, Apple's management from the top down knows full well that this developer preview will be in the hands of every kid with a cable modem within days of its release. Most of them will be able to install it on their own computers and run it and the full suite of iLife '05 applications at full speed, and run most existing Mac software in translation. As a result, Apple will give thousands, possibly millions, of people a taste of Mac OS X running full speed on their own PCs. Apple's giving their potential future customers a free taste, that's what they're doing. It's a try-before-you-buy deal," Harrell writes.

Also, full article (by Jeff Harrell @ ShapeOfDays.com)...

Mac OS X on Intel: Try before you buy?

Item the first: Apple is not staffed entirely by idiots. This is self-evident, and it's important to what follows. Keep this in mind as we proceed.

Item the second: The Intel-based Power Macintoshes that Apple is showing at their developer conference are based on an Intel motherboard, generic Intel graphics and off-the-shelf Pentium 4 CPUs. This information has just become public in the past few hours. (Comments I made to the contrary yesterday and on Monday were erroneous. The source who fed me that information has been sent to bed without any supper, and says to tell you he's very sorry and that it won't happen again.)

Item the third: It's safe to assume, given the timeframe, that the developer transition kits that Apple will ship within a couple of weeks will be fundamentally similar to, if not outright identical to, the Power Macs on display at the conference.

Item the fourth: The Power Macs on display at the show run a one-off build of Mac OS X 10.4.1 that incorporates the few necessary changes that were required to get the operating system running on the Intel hardware. This build includes Apple's bundled iLife '05 suite of applications.

Item the fifth: Because Intel's LaGrande security technology is not yet incorporated into any shipping products, it's safe to assume that it's not present in these transition-kit computers.

Item the sixth: Given items two through five, apart from the constraints introduced by hardware-software interfaces, there is nothing at all that prevents the version of Mac OS X that runs on the developer transition machines from running on any PC with compatible components.

Item the seventh: Because the Intel version of Mac OS X that's being distributed to developers is a one-off build, future software patches, including all-important security patches, will not install on top of it, making it totally useless to anybody who's not a developer of Mac software.

Item the eighth: Given items two through seven, I estimate that we're down to a matter of hours before Mac OS X 10.4.1 for Intel hardware is available for download on Internet software piracy sites and peer-to-peer piracy networks. (Update: A reader who for obvious reasons wishes to remain anonymous just demonstrated to me that the software is, in fact, already available on Internet software piracy sites.)

Item the ninth: If I can think through this stuff, Apple's management can think through this stuff. See item one.

Item the tenth: This is the most awe-inspiring stealth marketing move I've ever seen.

Think about it. Apple releases a developers-only preview release of Mac OS X for Intel. It's a fully functional release of the operating system, not a beta or prerelease copy. It will work reliably, and it will run the vast majority of existing Mac applications unmodified via the Rosetta translation technology. But because this is a one-off developer release, it's of very little value to computer owners. Future software updates, like the soon-to-be-released 10.4.2 update, won't install. Existing Mac software will run, but it will run in translation, which means it will be frustratingly slow. But according to reports, Apple's bundled iLife applications, major selling points for the Mac operating system, are already Intel-native and run at full speed.

Given Apple's experiences with software piracy, particularly the rampant software piracy that spread developer builds of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger all over the Internet this past spring, Apple's management from the top down knows full well that this developer preview will be in the hands of every kid with a cable modem within days of its release. Most of them will be able to install it on their own computers and run it and the full suite of iLife '05 applications at full speed, and run most existing Mac software in translation.

As a result, Apple will give thousands, possibly millions, of people a taste of Mac OS X running full speed on their own PCs.

Apple's giving their potential future customers a free taste, that's what they're doing. It's a try-before-you-buy deal.

It's possible that anyone of the ten items above -- well, except number one -- is wrong either in detail or completely. It's possible that I'm totally off-base here. But I don't think so. I think there's a possibility, a very real possibility, that I'm right about this. And that thought gives me the chills. In a good way.

I'm skeptic about the above, as unless you have the exact same system as the developer kit it won't run most likely. They aren't going to have drivers or anything like that for any hardware other than the exact hardware running in the dev. kits. This would make the above idea seem pretty silly.

[off topic]
Last time i checked, reality was not democratic.

well that's debatable... perhaps your so called 'logical' reality isn't democratic... But you would never give any power to the people...

Your reality is sheeple regardless... The truth can only be devised by thought... So what people think is the truth may well be and thus thought/what people think could well be a good arbitor of the truth...

:tongue2:
[/off topic]