Old onefallin through the earth

• Thread starter JoseCapablanca
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary, if a hole straight through the earth was open to the surface, an individual would feel a decreasing force pulling them down until they reached the center of the earth. Once they reached the center, the force would reverse and they would be pulled toward their head (slowing their "descent"). If you walked over the hole, you would just float there. If you somehow accelerated yourself down through the hole, you would continue with the exact same speed, and in the same direction, forever -- barring collisions with the walls of the hole. You would just fly off into outer space at the same velocity, forever.
JoseCapablanca
if there was a hole straight through the earth, top to bottom, and you jumped in, would come flying out the other side upside down, and at which moment would you realize HEY I am not fallin down anymore I am shootin up...and no Dante didnt make any sense when he did it

Physics news on Phys.org
You would feel a decreasing force pulling you down until you reached the center of the earth. It would then reverse and you would feel a force pulling you toward your head (slowing your "descent"). I don't know that you would actually "feel" the reversal. The force would drop to 0 then increase the other way so there wouldn't be any sudden change.

By the way, you would not "come flying out the other side". By conservation of energy, you would stop just as you reached the other side and start back down again. (That's neglecting air resistance. Including it, you would not quite reach the end of the hole, fall "back" down, again not quite reaching the same distance from the center of the Earth until eventually, you came to rest at the center of the earth.)

In my late night ignorance I forgot to mention to neglect gravity and now that you mentioned it, air resistance, picture it happening in a pure vacuum with no gravity involved.

In a vacuum with no gravity involved? What's the point of having the Earth there if there's no gravity involved?

If you walked over the hole, you'd just float there. Nothing would happen, because there would be no force.

If you somehow accelerate yourself down through the hole, you would continue with the exact same speed, and in the same direction, forever -- barring collisions with the walls of the hole. You'd just fly off into outer space at the same velocity, forever. That's Newton's first law of motion.

- Warren

ya but when would i get the realiziaztion that i was no longer going down but up ,it makes no damn sense (the thought not me) example
if i remember right during Dantes DIvine COmedy he made it to the center of the Earth and had to turn around to keep going to get to the other side, confussed then , confussed now.

Forget Dante.

In the absence of gravity, there really is no good way to determine "up" versus "down." Up is what you want it to be, and down is opposite.

- Warren

if your lookin down into the hole your about to go into I am sure you can tell your lookin down by refrencing the object your standing on.

Originally posted by chroot
If you walked over the hole, you'd just float there. Nothing would happen, because there would be no force.

How could that work? You'd still have this giant mass and even without the matter directly in front of you, gravity would be pulling on you from all the surrounding mass. The net vector would be slightly reduced, but still pulling you down to the center.

Take your math to 10 decimal places and you'd need to factor in the moon, sun...

Cliff

Let's just note that Dante was not well versed on Newtonian mechanics!

hahah i take it no one has a good answer ;)
good point on Dante

Originally posted by Cliff_J
How could that work?
Didn't Jose say "in the absence of gravity?"

- Warren

Originally posted by JoseCapablanca
What haven't we answered?

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
Didn't Jose say "in the absence of gravity?"

- Warren

Doh! My bad.

good point on Dante

Has it occurred to you that may be because you do not have a good question? You are asking about falling "up or down" but insist that it be done "in the absense of gravity". Unitl you can explain to us exactly what you mean by "falling" or "up or down" in the absense of gravity, I think you have gotten the best answers that can be given!

would Earth's gravity be greastest just outside the centre of the earth?

The force of gravity reduces steadly all the way to the center, there is no sudden change.

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
Has it occurred to you that may be because you do not have a good question? You are asking about falling "up or down" but insist that it be done "in the absense of gravity". Unitl you can explain to us exactly what you mean by "falling" or "up or down" in the absense of gravity, I think you have gotten the best answers that can be given!
is it so hard to turn your mind away from the norm and think abstractly. DO I have to say ..ok in "my world" there's no gravity but you have a rocket pack attached to your back and it goes off shootin you down ..is that better sheesh

if your lookin down into the hole your about to go into I am sure you can tell your lookin down by refrencing the object your standing on

No gravity, remember? No standing, standing implies gravity.

theres no gravity but you have a rocket pack attached to your back and it goes off shootin you down ..

In a universe with no gravity, what is down?

If your rocket has no thrust what happens?

If turtles could fly would snakes walk?

Once again if you want to create a meaningful thought experiment you need to make meaningful assumptions. Your question has been answered, have you not read any of the thread?

ya I have read the thread and have not goten the answer to the question just well you can't ask that because this or that makes that or this impposible...i don't see what the big deal is really its a simple question

ya I have read the thread and have not goten the answer to the question just well you can't ask that because this or that makes that or this impposible...i don't see what the big deal is really its a simple question
In the situation where there is no gravity, and no air resistance -- in other words, no forces -- the only law of motion that applies is Newton's first law:

Objects move with constant velocity in the absence of forces.

If you begin moving in some direction with some speed -- say, by firing your rocket pack, or whatever -- you'll continue moving in that same direction, and at that same speed, forever.

Do you feel this does not answer your question?

- Warren

ok i can swallow that one I was looking more for a answer on the perception part like when i came out of said hole would the guy standin there be talkin to my feet and thinkin I am upside down while I am thinkin the same thing about him ;)

To be sure, in the absence of gravity, the term "up" is subjective. "Up" is just whatever way your head happens to be pointing.

- Warren

1. What is the concept of "Old onefallin through the earth"?

The concept of "Old onefallin through the earth" is a hypothetical scenario where an object falls through the center of the Earth due to the force of gravity.

2. Is it possible for an object to fall through the Earth?

No, it is not possible for an object to fall through the Earth. The Earth's core is made up of solid iron and nickel, which would prevent any object from passing through it.

3. How fast would an object fall through the Earth?

If we assume that there is no air resistance and the Earth is a perfect sphere, an object would reach its maximum speed of about 17,500 miles per hour at the Earth's core. However, this is only a theoretical concept and is not possible in reality.

4. What effect would the Earth's rotation have on an object falling through it?

The Earth's rotation would have no effect on an object falling through it. This is because the force of gravity acts equally on all objects, regardless of their position or movement.

5. Would an object fall through the Earth in a straight line?

No, an object would not fall through the Earth in a straight line. This is due to the Earth's rotation and the fact that the force of gravity would pull the object towards the center of the Earth, causing it to follow a curved path.