Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Omg! zombies! real or not

1. May 4, 2005 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2005 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A little late for April Fools day.

4. May 4, 2005 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Makes one wonder if the bugs produce a neurotoxin similar to the blowfish extract believed to be a component of the Haitian 'zombie drug'. In that case, the victims aren't truly dead in the first place. It takes a close examination by a medical expert to tell that they're alive, though.

5. May 4, 2005 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. May 4, 2005 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's not even a BBC page. Its a hoax. :biggrin:

7. May 4, 2005 #6

Danger

Gold Member

How on Earth can you tell? With the exception of not having the site name in the top left corner, which I took to be because it wasn't a front page, I can't see any difference between it and the real BBC things that I've looked at before. (And don't say that it's because of the article itself; I've seen weirder stuff in real papers.) Keep in mind that I've only had Internet since the end of February, and haven't really gone anywhere but PF. What gives it away as a fake? :confused:
    Also, I don't have time to read the links right now. Things like that take a long time because of my eyesight and various distractions. I do, however, have a copy of 'The Serpent and the Rainbow', which is based more or less on Wade Davis' experiences.

8. May 4, 2005 #7
    most fake news sites like that just have an ip instead of a real domain name. if its bbc then it will have the real bbc in the domain name like www.bbc.co.uk or whatever

9. May 4, 2005 #8
    This is the page adress for the BBC.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/
    If the page adress (URL) doesn't match it's not from the BBC site.
    -----edit-----
    Damn... beaten to the punch.

10. May 5, 2005 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Thanks both. It'll come in handy in future. That sucker sure looked real, and all of the links went to the real place. It's a jungle out there.

11. May 6, 2005 #10

Mk

12. May 6, 2005 #11

Danger

Gold Member

13. May 6, 2005 #12

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He can be sued for illegally using the layout of the BBC page.I'd say it's copyrighted.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?