Can Someone Review My Lab's Theory Section?

In summary, the author is asking for feedback on their theory section of their lab report. They mention water flowing in a pipe as an analogy for current, and mention per second and Liters per second. They ask if someone can review the rest of the document and make any corrections.
Bashyboy
Hello,

I am currently working on my lab, and am wondering if someone would be so kind as to give it a gander. The only section I need looked over is the theory section, which, incidentally, is the only part I have written thusfar. I'd really appreciate it if you could critique the theory section in general, but I do have some specific questions that I have inserted in the text, colored red.

Thank you in advance! :biggrin:

PS This is the first draft, and it goes without saying, that it may be rough.

Attachments

• Ohm's Law Lab 1.doc
    159 KB · Views: 222
Physics news on Phys.org
Electric current is, when flow is steady, the rate at which charge flows between the two points during a time interval (is this time interval the amount of time it takes the charge to flow from one terminal to the next?):

No. It's "per second".

Compare with water flowing in a pipe. The flow rate of the water is in "Liters per second".

the infinitesimal unit of charge that flows (where is it flowing? Between the two points?)

No. Think of it as flowing "past a point".

So overall current is the quantity of charge flowing past a point per second.

I haven't read the rest of your write up.

I'll make the corrections, with regard to your suggestions.

Bump.

Bashyboy said:
I'll make the corrections, with regard to your suggestions.

Bashyboy said:
Bump.
How can you bump that.

Show us the edited write-up. (Please don't give a link to a word ('.doc') document. Many of us won't open them -- risk of virus, etc. Use a pdf format or similar.)

Well, he said that he only viewed that parts in red, and not the rest. So, I was hoping that someone could view the rest. But, if you'd like the slightly revised, that's fine. I'll just edit my original post to include.

EDIT: I can't edit my original post. Haha. I will just attach it to this post

Attachments

• Ohm's Law Lab 2.pdf
    427 KB · Views: 388

1. What is the purpose of the theory section in a lab report?

The theory section in a lab report is used to explain the scientific principles and concepts that are relevant to the experiment being conducted. It helps provide a background and context for the results and conclusions presented in the report.

2. How do I write a theory section for my lab report?

To write a theory section for a lab report, you should first research and understand the scientific theories and principles related to your experiment. Then, in a clear and concise manner, explain how these theories relate to your experiment and its expected outcomes. It is important to use scientific terminology and cite any sources used.

3. How much detail should I include in the theory section?

The level of detail in the theory section will vary depending on the complexity of the experiment and the target audience of the report. Generally, it is best to strike a balance between providing enough information for the reader to understand the experiment and avoiding excessive detail that may detract from the main focus of the report.

4. Can I use diagrams or illustrations in the theory section?

Yes, diagrams and illustrations can be helpful in explaining complex scientific concepts in the theory section. However, it is important to ensure that they are relevant and clearly labeled. Any figures or images used should also be properly cited.

5. Is it necessary to include a theory section in every lab report?

It is generally expected to include a theory section in a lab report, as it provides important background information for the experiment and helps the reader understand the results. However, if the experiment is simple and the scientific principles are well-known, a brief summary or reference to previous work may suffice.