On aluminium as vise / clamp material

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of aluminium for a vise clamp and its viability for holding various materials. The speaker also mentions the use of different materials for vise pads, such as copper, tufnol, and aluminium, to provide a compromise in strength and adaptability. It is suggested to use softer jaws than the work piece for better results.
abdulbadii
TL;DR Summary
which type aluminium for make up a vise clamp
This's slight confusion as productions/markets have aluminium material for making up a vise clamp

Is it really going to workable/viable and which type aluminium could reliably be as vise clamp ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have an aluminum vise/clamp that I use, but it is for PCB rework. What is your application? What clamping force and clamp area (hence clamp pressure) do you need?

berkeman said:
I have an aluminum vise/clamp that I use, but it is for PCB rework. What is your application? What clamping force and clamp area (hence clamp pressure) do you need?
improvisation or fixing of our steel iron stuffs i.e. clamp 3-5 mm thick steel to be cut/ground/drilled or reformed its shape etc
is Al such adequately strong ?

abdulbadii said:
TL;DR Summary: which type aluminium for make up a vise clamp

Is it really going to workable/viable and which type aluminium could reliably be as vise clamp ?
It's so dependent on what you want to hold (material and shape). One of the best compromises is to use a steel vise with pads of different materials. I have used copper, tufnol and aluminium pads in an assortment of steel vises. Copper is particularly good as you can easily anneal it (red hot then quenched) and it can form itself around odd shapes (say aluminium threads) and harden itself after flowing . (Copper is great for softening the jaws in a lathe chuck)
I guess the rule would be to use softer jaws than the work piece - mostly.

1. What is the advantage of using aluminium as a vise/clamp material?

Aluminium is a lightweight and durable material that is also corrosion-resistant. This makes it a great choice for vise/clamp material as it can withstand heavy use without rusting or becoming damaged.

2. Can aluminium vise/clamp material hold up against heavy pressure?

Yes, aluminium has a high strength-to-weight ratio, meaning it can withstand significant pressure without bending or breaking. However, it is important to choose the appropriate thickness and size for the job at hand.

3. Is aluminium vise/clamp material suitable for use with different types of materials?

Yes, aluminium is a versatile material that can be used with a variety of materials, including wood, metal, and plastic. It is important to ensure that the surface of the vise/clamp is smooth and free of any imperfections that could damage the material being held.

4. Can aluminium vise/clamp material be easily adjusted?

Yes, most aluminium vise/clamp materials have adjustable jaws that can be tightened or loosened to accommodate different sizes and shapes of materials. This makes it a convenient option for various projects and tasks.

5. How does aluminium compare to other vise/clamp materials such as steel or iron?

Aluminium is generally lighter than steel or iron, making it easier to handle and transport. It is also more resistant to corrosion, making it a longer-lasting option. However, steel and iron may be stronger and more suitable for heavy-duty tasks.