On liquid oscillation excitation

In summary, Mr. Han's research found that the second harmonic frequency of oscillation exhibited by the hand when walking corresponds to the natural frequency of the first antisymmetric mode of liquid oscillation inside an upright cylindrical container with a radius of 8 cm and height of 9 cm. This finding could have significant implications for the design of devices that use oscillation to achieve a desired effect. Thanks alot! :)
Jiwon Han
(I'm new to the Forum, so if I violate the rules unknowingly, please do let me know)
So, during a recent research, I analyzed the frequency spectrum of our hand's oscillation while walking.
As it turns out, it contains distinct harmonic frequencies (around 1.8*n Hz), and the second among them corresponds to the natural frequency of the first antisymmetric mode (FAM) of liquid oscillation inside an upright cylindrical container with radius 8cm and height 9cm.

Would the following statement be physically sound?
"Since the driving force (exerted by the hand, and subsequently the cup) contains a frequency component that corresponds to the natural frequency of the FAM, resonance occurs for the FAM."

Or does resonance only occur when a purely sinusoidal signal is imposed upon the system?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jiwon Han said:
(I'm new to the Forum, so if I violate the rules unknowingly, please do let me know)
So, during a recent research, I analyzed the frequency spectrum of our hand's oscillation while walking.
As it turns out, it contains distinct harmonic frequencies (around 1.8*n Hz), and the second among them corresponds to the natural frequency of the first antisymmetric mode (FAM) of liquid oscillation inside an upright cylindrical container with radius 8cm and height 9cm.

Would the following statement be physically sound?
"Since the driving force (exerted by the hand, and subsequently the cup) contains a frequency component that corresponds to the natural frequency of the FAM, resonance occurs for the FAM."

Or does resonance only occur when a purely sinusoidal signal is imposed upon the system?
Thanks.

Resonance can be observed with excitation that is periodic; the excitation need not be any particular wave shape. Your statement is valid. It might read better were it expressed: "... the periodic driving force ..." or "... the driving force function ...", or "... the motion of the hand (and consequently of the cup) ...".

NascentOxygen said:
Resonance can be observed with excitation that is periodic; the excitation need not be any particular wave shape. Your statement is valid. It might read better were it expressed: "... the periodic driving force ..." or "... the driving force function ...", or "... the motion of the hand (and consequently of the cup) ...".
thanks alot! :)

Mr. Jiwon Han, in your research you overlooked an important aspect which I feel would be eye opening once tested!

1. What is "On liquid oscillation excitation"?

"On liquid oscillation excitation" refers to the study and analysis of the motion of liquid particles in a container or body of water. This field of study is important in understanding various phenomena such as waves, vibrations, and oscillations in liquids.

2. What are the applications of studying liquid oscillation excitation?

The study of liquid oscillation excitation has several applications, including understanding the behavior of waves and currents in oceans and lakes, designing ships and other water vessels, and developing technologies for controlling the movement of liquids in industrial processes.

3. How is liquid oscillation excitation measured?

Liquid oscillation excitation can be measured using various techniques such as wave gauges, accelerometers, and pressure sensors. These instruments are used to measure parameters such as wave height, frequency, and amplitude, which are then used to analyze the oscillation of liquids.

4. What factors affect liquid oscillation excitation?

Several factors can affect liquid oscillation excitation, including the properties of the liquid (e.g. density, viscosity), the shape and size of the container, external forces such as wind and tides, and the presence of objects or barriers in the liquid.

5. How does liquid oscillation excitation differ from solid oscillation?

Liquid oscillation excitation differs from solid oscillation in several ways. Unlike solids, liquids are not rigid and can deform under the influence of external forces, making their oscillation more complex. Additionally, liquids have different modes of oscillation, such as surface waves and internal waves, which are not present in solid materials.