Is x equal to 2 if (ln x) / x = (ln 2) / 2?

• Thread starter franz32
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to the equation (ln x)/x = (ln 2)/2 and how it is not a one-to-one function. The expert summarizer explains that x can have other values besides 2, such as 4, and that calculus can be used to prove that these are the only two solutions. The conversation also mentions graphing techniques and the use of technology to find the solutions.
franz32
If (ln x) / x = (ln 2) / 2, does it mean that my x here is equal to 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
not just x=2. x could be 4, too. calculus can be used to prove those are the only two solutions, i think.

yep those are the anwsers - take hte derivative, it's monotone increasing for x less than e monotone decreasing for x greater than e.

edit, the pronoun 'it' does not refer to the derivative, 'it' refers to the original function. Sorry if there was confusion there.

Last edited:
In general f(x)= f(y) leads to x= y IF f is "one to one" (in fact that's the definition of "one to one").

f(x)= ln(x)/x is NOT one to one. If a function has derivative that is always positive or always negative, then it is "monotone" and so one to one. Here, f'(x)= (1-ln(x))/x2. That is continuous as long as x is positive and so can change from negative to positive only where it is 0: that is, 1- ln(x)= 0 which gives x= e.
Now check x= 3> e: f'(3)= (1- ln(3))/32= -.011. That is negative so, as matt grime said, f(x) is decreasing, therefore monotone, for x> e.
Check x= 2< e: f'(2)= (1- ln(2))/22= 0.0767: positive.

How?

Hello.

how can I show that my "x" in my previous question " (ln x)/x =
(ln 2) /2 has a different value aside from 2. Yes, I understand that it is not one-to -one , but how did phoenixthoth got "not just x=2. x could be 4, too. calculus can be used to prove those are the only two solutions"? In short, how did he got 4?

[ln(x)]/x = [ln(2)]/2 implies that if we take e to the power of each side, we get the equality exp{[ln(x)]/x} = exp{[ln(2)]/2}. This can be rewritten as {exp[ln(x)]}^(1/x) = {exp[ln(2)}^(1/2). This simplifies to x^(1/x) = 2^1/2. Taking both sides to the x power: x=2^(x/2). It is pretty clear that both x=2 and x=4 solve this.

To reassure yourself that there are no other solutions, you could plot y=x (a straight line though the origin, with slope = 1) on the same graph as y=2^(x/2) which will be a curve concave upward, passing through (0,1). So even if you draw the curve real sloppy, you can reason that since it is monotonically increasing, and since its first derivative also increases monotonically, there are only three possibilities for the number of intersections of the two figures: 0, or 1 (osculating) or 2.

Last edited:
i graphed it along with the horizontal line ln2/2 and saw two points of intersection. then i knew calc could be used to prove those are the only two. i cheated and used a computer to graph it but one could just use curve sketching techniques from calculus (or even precalc or plotting points) to graph it.

actually, what happened is that i had mathematica numerically solve it. the thing is it kept giving me 2 as the only answer but i suspected that there must be some kind of trick to it and kept pushing (a bit) for a nother solution.

Hello again

Well, now I understand... thank you for the help that you show me. I really appreciate them. =)

1. What does the equation (ln x) / x = (ln 2) / 2 mean?

The equation (ln x) / x = (ln 2) / 2 is a mathematical expression that is used to determine if x is equal to 2. It compares the natural logarithm of x divided by x to the natural logarithm of 2 divided by 2.

2. Why is the natural logarithm used in this equation?

The natural logarithm (ln) is used because it is a logarithmic function that is commonly used to solve equations involving exponents and logarithms. In this equation, it helps to isolate the variable x and make the comparison to 2.

3. How do you solve the equation (ln x) / x = (ln 2) / 2?

To solve this equation, you can use algebraic methods to isolate the variable x on one side of the equation. First, multiply both sides by x to get rid of the fraction. Then, take the natural logarithm of both sides and use the properties of logarithms to simplify the equation. Finally, you can solve for x by raising both sides to the power of e (the base of the natural logarithm).

4. Can this equation be solved for other values besides 2?

Yes, this equation can be solved for any value of x. However, the value of x must be positive because the natural logarithm is only defined for positive numbers. Additionally, the solution may involve complex numbers for certain values of x.

5. How is this equation relevant in the field of science?

This equation is relevant in various fields of science, such as mathematics, physics, and chemistry. It can be used to solve problems involving exponential growth and decay, rates of change, and other logarithmic relationships. In chemistry, it can be used to calculate the pH of a solution. In physics, it can be used to model radioactive decay. Overall, this equation is a useful tool for analyzing and understanding natural phenomena.