1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On Measurability

1. Mar 10, 2009 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let E be a subset of R and suppose the Lebesgue outer measure m*(E) is finite. Prove that the following two statements are equivalent:

(1) Given e > 0, there is an open set A containing E with m*(A\E) < e.
    (2) Given e > 0, there is a finite union V of open intervals such that m*(V\E U E\V) < e.

Relevant equations
    Here's a statement that may come in handy: For any subset X of R and any e > 0, there is an open set Y such that Y contains X and m*(Y) <= m*(X) + e.

The attempt at a solution
    I haven't even bothered trying to prove that (2) implies (1) as I'm stuck on the proof that (1) implies (2). Here's what I have so far: Let e > 0. By (1), there is an A containing E with m*(A\E) < e/2. A is an open set, so it is the union of countably many open intervals. If "countably many" is finite, then we're done. Otherwise, start by picking an open interval from A that intersects E. Call it V. We have that m*(V\E) <= m*(A\E) < e/2. I need to prove that m*(E\V) < e/2. If I can't, then I can make V larger by adding to it another open interval from A that intersects E. I imagine that after doing this finitely many times, V will be large enough so that m*(E\V) < e/2. The problem is that I don't have any way of calculating m*(E/V). Any tips?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2009 #2
    I have figured out the following: A is the union of countably many disjoint open intervals, say I_1, I_2, ... Let V_i = E \ (I_1 U ... U I_i). We have that m*(V_1) is finite and that V_1 contains V_2 contains V_3 etc. Hence, m*(V_1) >= m*(V_2) >= ..., i.e. (m*(V_i)) is a bounded sequence of positive integers, so it converges to inf {m*(V_i)}. Now all I need to do is show that said inf is in fact 0. This, I have not been able to do. Any tips?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook