On the Doppler Effect

inspacewithcallisto
TL;DR Summary
I need help understanding an article about the Doppler effect for light and black hole physics.
I'm a highschool student learning about astrophysics, and I'm trying to understand this paper by Dr. Sophia Cisneros because I find it interesting and I want to do an informational interview. The problem is, I just have really bad reading comprehension, especially with all the scientific jargon I don't know. It's on the Doppler Effect for light, emitted from the accretion disc of a black hole using Kerr metrics. Could anyone help out?
https://academic.oup.com/mnras/article/448/3/2733/1106963

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
I'm trying to understand this paper by Dr. Sophia Cisneros because I find it interesting and I want to do an informational interview. The problem is, I just have really bad reading comprehension, especially with all the scientific jargon I don't know. It's on the Doppler Effect for light, emitted from the accretion disc of a black hole using Kerr metrics.
That's a fairly advanced paper for where you are in school right now. Do you understand the Doppler effect for sound already? If so, do you have an idea why the paper talks about both motional Doppler effects and gravitational Doppler effects for the light emitted?

Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
2022 Award
What does "do an informational interview" mean here? That you're planning to talk to the author about this paper?

As berkeman notes, that paper is several years of study beyond the end of a high school course. We can't teach you enough so you can understand it here, but depending on what you want to know and why we might be able to offer some help.

Likes vanhees71 and berkeman

Suggested for: On the Doppler Effect

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views