1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One 3rd degree equation with two variables. Can it be a solution?

1. Feb 7, 2013 #1
    Hello this is my first post here. I found a problem in algebra which i cannot solve and don't even know if there are solutions as asked.
    It is that one:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all the integer solutions (x,y) that satisfy the equation:

2. Relevant equations
    ×3-727× = y3 - 727y

3. The attempt at a solution
    x3 - y3 = 727x - 727y
    (x-y)(x2+xy+y2)=727(x-y)

I didn't divided by (x-y) because i think i'll lose solutions. Also, x-y can be zero (i think).

So i finally have: (x-y)(x2+xy+y2-727)=0

How can i continue? Can i factorize more the second bracket? Or i can solve it graphically?

Also, x-y=0 doesn't mean that i have infinite solutions? If i set myself x and y Ε Z .

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2013 #2
    If x = y, then (x-y) = 0 and you have a set of solutions (a straight line).
    If x <> y, then your other solutions satisfy x^2 + xy + y^2 = 727 (an ellipse).

4. Feb 7, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can have x = y = any integer, so already there are infinitely many solutions. To look for solutions with x ≠ y, divide out your above expression by (x-y)---which IS allowed when x ≠ y-- to get x^2 + x*y + y^2 = 727. Using various methods you can find the maximum and minimum possible values of x, which are
    [tex] x_{\min} = -\frac{2}{3}\sqrt{2181} \doteq -31.1342 \\
    x_{\max} = \frac{2}{3}\sqrt{2181} \doteq 31.1342 ,[/tex]
    so the only integer values of x you need to look at are those from x = -31 to +31. For each x you can solve the quadratic equation to find the two values of y. You can just use a loop over x from -31 to + 31 and look at all the y-values to see if any of them come out as integers.

5. Feb 9, 2013 #4
    Okay, i found the solution. I solved with respect to y and what was over the root must be a square number in order to be an integer. From there it wasn't difficult to find the solutions. Thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook