1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One and Two Dimension collisions

1. Nov 7, 2006 #1
    My question is not so much what to do it is just i have problems solving for a certain equation.

A 5.00kg ball, moving to the right at a velocity of 2m/s on a frictionless table, collides head-on with a stationary 7.50kg ball. Find the final velocities of the balls if the collision is (a) elastic and (b) completely inelastic

for part A

I have m1v1f + m2v2f= m1vi1 +0
    to solve for final velocity 1(the ball for 5kg) you use

I really have no i do how to algebraically solve for vf1, can someone explain that to me because when i use the equation i get the right answer which is -.400m/s

To find vf2 we use the fact that it is an ellastic collision and the kinetic energy before and after is the same

Using this i have to solve for vf2 but again i have a problem algebraically solving for vf2. But there is a similar example in the textbook so i used what they had to solve for vf1 and vf2 but they do not show the work

answer should be 1.60m/s

Same problem here but the answers come out correctly.
    It would be greatly appreciated if someone can show me the algebra behind this
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

For (a): use the fact that both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This will give you two equations with two unknowns, which are the final velocities.

For (b): what are the properties of a completely inelastic collision?
  4. Nov 7, 2006 #3
    I understand that but i need someone to show me how to algebraically solve for those two equations thats what my problem is i understand how to solve for the final velocities. Like show the math workout step by step because i am confused.
  5. Nov 8, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Here, take a look at: http://www.webmath.com/solver2.html.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?