One dimensional motion with friction

In summary, the problem involves a can of pop sliding across a table with an initial velocity of 2.0 m/s and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.30. The normal force is eliminated from the calculation by assuming it cancels out the force of gravity. The friction force is then calculated using the equation F_f=mu*N, where mu is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force. The mass of the can is not needed for the calculation.
mahdilm
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me out with this one. Its been years since I've done physics and this problems is bugging the hell out of me.

A can of pop is given a shove. It slides across a table, eventually coming to a stop. If its initial velocity is 2.0 m/s, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the two surfaces is 0.30, how far will it travel across the table.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
mahdilm said:
Hello,
I was wondering if someone could help me out with this one. Its been years since I've done physics and this problems is bugging the hell out of me.
Thanks

Hint:
You know the coefficient of friction, but you don't know the frictional force, nor do you know the normal force. You do have a common element to both the frictional force and the normal force though. Try eliminating it and then working from there.

GM

:confused:
GeoMike said:
Hint:
You know the coefficient of friction, but you don't know the frictional force, nor do you know the normal force. You do have a common element to both the frictional force and the normal force though. Try eliminating it and then working from there.
GM

Could you elaborate more please? :confused:

There are several different models for kinetic friction. In some cases it is assumed to increase as velocity increases, but I suspect that this is not the model you are intended to use as this would result in a differential equation, which seems to be more advanced than the level of the question. In that case, you are probably expected to assume that the force of friction is proportional to the normal force and directed against the velocity, but independant of its maginitude. This means that
[tex]F_{f}= \mu N[/tex]
Where F_f is the friction force, mu is the coefficient of friction and N is the magnitude of the normal force. You know the normal force cancels out the force of gravity because the can is not accelerating in the vertical direction. So N=m(mass of can)*g(acceleration due to gravity). You don't know the mass, but work the problem out as if you did and you will see that it does not matter.

What is one dimensional motion with friction?

One dimensional motion with friction is the study of the movement of objects in a single direction while taking into account the force of friction acting on the object. Friction is a force that opposes motion and is caused by the contact between two surfaces.

What factors affect the amount of friction in one dimensional motion?

The amount of friction in one dimensional motion is affected by the types of surfaces in contact, the normal force (or weight) of the object, and the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces. The rougher the surfaces and the greater the weight of the object, the more friction will be present. The coefficient of friction is a measure of how rough or smooth a surface is and varies depending on the materials in contact.

How is the force of friction calculated?

The force of friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction by the normal force. The formula is F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. It is always equal to or less than the applied force. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, is the force that acts on an object as it is already in motion. It is typically less than static friction and remains constant as long as the object is moving at a constant speed.

How does friction affect the motion of an object?

Friction can slow down or stop the motion of an object, as it acts opposite to the direction of motion. It can also cause an object to move in a different direction than intended, such as when a car skids on a slippery road. Friction is essential for many everyday tasks, such as walking, driving, and writing, but it can also be a hindrance in certain situations, such as in the design of machines and vehicles.