One Dimensional QM particle Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a quantum mechanical particle moving in one dimension, described by a Hamiltonian equation. The dimensions of mass, hbar, and K are expressed in terms of energy, time, and length. The energy and spatial extent of the ground state wavefunction can be expressed using dimensional analysis and the uncertainty principle. The conversation also touches on the units of the Hamiltonian and how to derive them.
demanjo
Dear All, This is my first post. I appreciate your help. I have the following question which i am struggling to understand, let alone solve.

Consider a quantum mechanical particle with the mass m moving in one-dimensional described by the following Hamiltonian;

(1)[tex]\hat{H} = \frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m} + \frac{K}{2}\hat{x}^6 [/tex]
Here, p and x are the operators for the momentum and position, respectively, which satisfy the commutation equation [tex][\hat{x},\hat{p}] = i\hbar[/tex]. K is a constant.

1) Express the dimensions of m, hbar, and K in terms of the energy (Joules), the time (seconds) and the length (meter).

2) Express the Energy E0 and the spatial extent S of the wavefunction for the ground state of the Hamiltonian eq. (1) using u, hbar, and K in terms of the dimensional analysis. Numerical co-efficients are not necessary to be determined.

3) Derive the results of 2) based on the uncertainty principle.
If someone can aid me I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
part 1: This is technical.

In part 2, what is u?

In part 3, think about how to use the uncertainty principle. In the ground state, the kinetic energy and the potential energy can be assumed to be approximately equal. You can also assume that the uncertainty relation holds and that you have (approximately) an equality.

To make use of the uncertainty principle, consider the relation between the kinetic energy and uncertainty in the momentum.

Thank you for the reply.
u is m (mass), sorry, this was a typo.

If i could get through part one, maybe i could have a stab at 2 and 3, considering i am vaguely aware how to use the uncertainty principle, but as you states, 1 is technical, and i cannot even get past that...

No help possible?

Hi,

sorry for the delay.

In q.1 - to get the units, go back to the basics. For example, energy is force times distance, and force is acceleration times mass. From that you can get to the mass. hbar is energy times time, or distance times momentum - you can use those. To get the units of K, note that Kx^6 has the same units has the Hamiltonian. What are the Hamiltonian's units?

Thanks a lot for your reply. I was thinking far too deeply, and didnt think about basics.

My guess would be the Hamiltonian has the units as governed by its components, namely m, and p, where p corresponds to ihbar
So would the units be m/h, which means m/(m^2kg.s) = s/m.kg?

1. What is the one dimensional QM particle problem?

The one dimensional QM particle problem is a theoretical problem in quantum mechanics that examines the behavior of a single particle in one dimension, typically in a potential well. It is used to understand the principles of quantum mechanics and to solve for the particle's wave function and energy eigenvalues.

2. How is the one dimensional QM particle problem solved?

The one dimensional QM particle problem is solved using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of the particle's wave function. The solution involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian operator for the system, which represent the allowed energy states of the particle.

3. What is a potential well in the context of the one dimensional QM particle problem?

In the one dimensional QM particle problem, a potential well refers to a region of space where the potential energy is lower than the surrounding areas. This can be represented by a potential energy function that has a trough or "well" in the middle. The particle's behavior and energy states are influenced by the shape and depth of the potential well.

4. What is the significance of solving the one dimensional QM particle problem?

Solving the one dimensional QM particle problem is significant because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of quantum particles in one dimension. It helps us to understand the principles of quantum mechanics and has practical applications in various fields such as materials science, chemistry, and electronics.

5. Can the one dimensional QM particle problem be applied to real-world systems?

Yes, the one dimensional QM particle problem can be applied to real-world systems. While it is a simplified theoretical problem, it can be used to model and understand the behavior of particles in one dimension, such as electrons in a nanoscale device or atoms in a crystal lattice. It can also be extended to more complex systems with multiple particles and dimensions.