1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One dimensional transient heat flow of a hoop

1. Mar 11, 2009 #1
    1. Problem: derive the energy balance from first principles of a hoop of inner radius ri, outer radius ro. the hoop material has a density of rho (p), heat capacity of c and thermal conductivity k. the center of the hoop has a temperature of T1 and the gas inside the hoop has a convection coefficient of h1. The temperature outside the hoop (not at the outer surface of the hoop) is T2 and the gas outside has a convection coefficient of h2.

2. Attempted solution: since its a hoop, cylindrical coordinates should be used. And since its a one dimensional problem the heat transfer in the y and z components is zero as well as the thermal generation term. I get the following equation: (1/r)d/dr(krdT/dr) = pcdT/dt. This is the equation for the conduction through the hoop and can be solved fully through integration and boundary conditions.

I can derive the temperature profile from the centre of the hoop to the edge of the inner radius using the equivalent thermal circuit but it wants the energy balance so I dont know what to for convection. Please help. Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?