One of the fairfax county mathematics league problem

In summary, the conversation includes a question about solving a problem involving three variables and two equations, with the solution being that Al has $48 at the start. The conversation also includes a comment about the location of Fairfax County, Virginia.
jjuugg
I feel like I can solve this problem easily.. However..
I can't -_-
I get three variables and I can get only 2 equations..T.T
How do you solve this!
This question makes me itchy!

"If Al gives Liz $10 and Carlo gives Liz $15, then Liz has as much money as Al and Carlo together. Instead, if Al gives Carlo $15 and Liz gives Carlo $8, then Carlo has as much money as Al and Liz together. How many dollars does Al have at the start?"

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, if I read this question correctly, Al has 48$.

jjuugg said:
I feel like I can solve this problem easily.. However..
I can't -_-
I get three variables and I can get only 2 equations..T.T
How do you solve this!
This question makes me itchy!

"If Al gives Liz $10 and Carlo gives Liz $15, then Liz has as much money as Al and Carlo together. Instead, if Al gives Carlo $15 and Liz gives Carlo $8, then Carlo has as much money as Al and Liz together. How many dollars does Al have at the start?"

You start by naming things: Let A be the amount of money Al has at the start, L the amount of money Liz has, and C be the amount of money Carlo has.

After Al gives Liz $10, he has A- 10 left. After Carlo gives Liz $15, he has C- 15 left. Liz has L+ 10+ 15= L+ 25. Then "Liz has as much money as Al and Carlo together: L+ 25= A-10+ C- 15. L+ 25= A+ C- 25 or L= A+ C- 50.

If Al gives Carlo $15, he has A- 15. If Liz gives Carlo $8, she has L- 8. Carlo has, of course, C+ 15+ 8= C+ 23. Then "Carlo has as much money as Al and Liz together: C+ 23= L-8+ A- 15= L+ A- 23: C= L+ A- 46.

You have the two equations: L= A+ C- 50 and C= L+ A- 46. What do you get if you add the two equations?

oh! I see the L cancels out!
Ah,,, I should have got this problem right.! T.T
Anyways thanks, now I can sleep without anxiety!lol ><

Is that Fairfax County, Virginia, U.S.A., by the way?

What is the Fairfax County Mathematics League?

The Fairfax County Mathematics League (FCML) is a competitive mathematics league for students in Fairfax County, Virginia. It aims to promote interest and excellence in mathematics through competitions and activities.

What is the "One of the Fairfax County Mathematics League Problem"?

The "One of the Fairfax County Mathematics League Problem" refers to one specific problem from the FCML competitions. These problems cover a variety of mathematical concepts and can range in difficulty.

Who can participate in the Fairfax County Mathematics League?

Any student in grades 6-12 who attends a Fairfax County public school or an affiliated private school is eligible to participate in the FCML competitions. Students can also form teams and compete in the team events.

How are the problems in the Fairfax County Mathematics League chosen?

The problems used in the FCML competitions are chosen by a committee of experienced mathematics teachers. They aim to select problems that are challenging, engaging, and aligned with the curriculum standards.

What are the benefits of participating in the Fairfax County Mathematics League?

Participating in the FCML can help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as increase their interest and confidence in mathematics. It also provides opportunities for students to compete and collaborate with others who share their passion for math.