Proving or Disproving f(x) = √x as One-to-One and Onto: Homework Statement

In summary, we are trying to prove or disprove that the function f(x) = √x is onto and one-to-one. To be onto, every value in the codomain must have a corresponding value in the domain. To be one-to-one, two different values in the domain cannot give the same value in the codomain. We can prove that the function is not onto by looking at the codomain of real numbers and realizing that not all values in the domain are defined in the codomain. However, we can prove that the function is one-to-one by showing that if f(x1) = f(x2), then x1 = x2. Additionally, we must be careful to note that √x is single-val
TyroneTheDino

Homework Statement

I am supposed to prove or disporve that ##f:\mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}##
##f(x)=\sqrt{x}## is onto. And prove or disprove that it is one to one

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know for certain that this function is not onto given the codomain of real numbers, but I am stuck on the one-to-one definition. I believe that I am supposed to disprove it, but I am not sure.

I say disprove because for a function to be one to one all values in the domain must correspond to a value in the codomain. Since anything less than 0 is undefined, does this make it true that not everything in the domain is defined in the codomain. Or is this reasoning flawed? Do only that value that are defined in the domain matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
With something that basic, focus on the definitions. A function, f, from set A to set B is said to be "onto" (more precisely "onto B") if and only if, for any y in B, there exist x in A such that f(x)= y. Here, your function is [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex], A= B= R. I suggest you look at y= -1.
(And be sure that you understand that, since [itex]f(x)= \sqrt{x}[/itex] is a function, it is "single-valued"- that is, "[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]" is NOT "[itex]\pm\sqrt{x}[/itex]".)

For "one-to-one", a function, f, from A to B is said to be "one-to-one" if and only if two different values of x, say [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] cannot give the say "y": if [itex]x_1\ne x_2[/itex] then [itex]f(x_1)\ne f(x_2)[/itex]. Often it is simplest to prove that by proving the "contra-positive": if [itex]f(x_1)= f(x_2)[/itex] then [itex]x_1= x_2[/itex]. Here, with [itex]f(x_1)= \sqrt{x}[/itex], start with [itex]\sqrt{x_1}= \sqrt{x_2}[/itex]. What can you say from that?

TyroneTheDino said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I know for certain that this function is not onto given the codomain of real numbers, but I am stuck on the one-to-one definition. I believe that I am supposed to disprove it, but I am not sure.

I say disprove because for a function to be one to one all values in the domain must correspond to a value in the codomain. Since anything less than 0 is undefined, does this make it true that not everything in the domain is defined in the codomain. Or is this reasoning flawed? Do only that value that are defined in the domain matter?
What is the domain of your function?

HallsofIvy said:
With something that basic, focus on the definitions. A function, f, from set A to set B is said to be "onto" (more precisely "onto B") if and only if, for any y in B, there exist x in A such that f(x)= y. Here, your function is [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex], A= B= R. I suggest you look at y= -1.
(And be sure that you understand that, since [itex]f(x)= \sqrt{x}[/itex] is a function, it is "single-valued"- that is, "[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]" is NOT "[itex]\pm\sqrt{x}[/itex]".)

For "one-to-one", a function, f, from A to B is said to be "one-to-one" if and only if two different values of x, say [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] cannot give the say "y": if [itex]x_1\ne x_2[/itex] then [itex]f(x_1)\ne f(x_2)[/itex]. Often it is simplest to prove that by proving the "contra-positive": if [itex]f(x_1)= f(x_2)[/itex] then [itex]x_1= x_2[/itex]. Here, with [itex]f(x_1)= \sqrt{x}[/itex], start with [itex]\sqrt{x_1}= \sqrt{x_2}[/itex]. What can you say from that?
Okay, I take from this because [itex]\sqrt{x_1}= \sqrt{x_2}[/itex], [itex]\sqrt{x_1}^2= \sqrt{x_2}^2[/itex], so x1=x2. So this function is one to one because I can prove that . Correct?

Yes, that is correct. Notice that if the function had been [itex]f(x)= x^2[/itex] then [itex]f(x_1)= f(x_2)[/itex] would be [itex]x_1^2= x_2^2[/itex] from which it follows that [itex]x_1= \pm x_2[/itex], not "[itex]x_1= x_2[/itex]" so that function is not one-to-one.

TyroneTheDino said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Is your ##f(x) = \sqrt{x}## even a map from ##\mathbb{R}## into ##\mathbb{R}## at all?

Likes micromass

1. What does it mean for a function to be one-to-one?

A function is considered one-to-one if each element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range. This means that no two elements in the domain can map to the same element in the range. In other words, the function must pass the horizontal line test.

2. How do you prove that a function is one-to-one?

To prove that a function is one-to-one, you can use the horizontal line test or the algebraic method. To use the horizontal line test, draw horizontal lines across the graph of the function. If the function intersects the line at more than one point, it is not one-to-one. To use the algebraic method, you can set up the equation f(x1) = f(x2) and show that x1 = x2, which proves that the function is one-to-one.

3. What does it mean for a function to be onto?

A function is considered onto if every element in the range has at least one corresponding element in the domain. This means that there are no elements in the range that are left out or not mapped by the function.

4. How do you prove that a function is onto?

To prove that a function is onto, you can use the vertical line test. Draw vertical lines across the graph of the function. If the function intersects the line at least once for every point in the range, it is onto. Another method is to show that for every element y in the range, there exists an element x in the domain such that f(x) = y.

5. Is the function f(x) = √x one-to-one and onto?

Yes, the function f(x) = √x is both one-to-one and onto. It passes the horizontal line test, which proves that it is one-to-one. It is also onto because every element in the range (positive real numbers) has a corresponding element in the domain (positive real numbers).