1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One to one function is monotone?

1. Dec 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A one to one function f: ℝ→ℝ is monotone, True or False

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think the statement is false, for example: Let I =[0,1]∪[2,3] f(x)=x if x∈[0,1], f(x)=5-x,x∈[2,3]

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have not defined the value of f(x) outside of I, so the example does not meet the requirements of the question, which include that the domain be all of ##\mathbb{R}##.

I think the statement is false, but a little more work is needed to produce a counterexample.

4. Dec 6, 2015 #3
    Let f(x)=x, x is rational, f(x)=-x,x is irrational, the function is one to one,but it is jumping. Does this example apply?

5. Dec 6, 2015 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Yes. I thought f(x)=const. would also do, but it depends on whether f has to be strictly monotone or not. Yours is better.

6. Dec 6, 2015 #5

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that rational/irrational function is a good one.
    By the way, it's possible to extend your function in the OP to a non-monotone, injective function that has the entirety of ##\mathbb{R}## as domain. But the rational/irrational one in post 2 is easier to specify (albeit harder to visualize).

7. Dec 6, 2015 #6

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Since both are dense, it's just a big X. And it leads to interesting philosophical questions: what one draws is always discrete for you put carbon atoms on the paper. (I apologize, if that remark should be regarded as improper.)

8. Dec 6, 2015 #7

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is also an example of a function which is continuous when restricted to 2 dense subsets, but overall not continuous.

9. Dec 6, 2015 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Of course you could have f(x) = x outside of the interval (-1, 1) and f(x) = -x on the interval (-1, 1) .

or even simpler :

f(1) = -1, f(-1) = 1, otherwise, f(x) = x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted