One to one function is monotone?

• Thread starter HaLAA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary,The statement "Homework Equations are monotone, True or False" is false. It is possible to have a function that is monotone but not domain-wide monotone.
HaLAA

Homework Statement

A one to one function f: ℝ→ℝ is monotone, True or False

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the statement is false, for example: Let I =[0,1]∪[2,3] f(x)=x if x∈[0,1], f(x)=5-x,x∈[2,3]

Physics news on Phys.org
You have not defined the value of f(x) outside of I, so the example does not meet the requirements of the question, which include that the domain be all of ##\mathbb{R}##.

I think the statement is false, but a little more work is needed to produce a counterexample.

andrewkirk said:
You have not defined the value of f(x) outside of I, so the example does not meet the requirements of the question, which include that the domain be all of ##\mathbb{R}##.

I think the statement is false, but a little more work is needed to produce a counterexample.
Let f(x)=x, x is rational, f(x)=-x,x is irrational, the function is one to one,but it is jumping. Does this example apply?

Yes. I thought f(x)=const. would also do, but it depends on whether f has to be strictly monotone or not. Yours is better.

Yes, that rational/irrational function is a good one.
By the way, it's possible to extend your function in the OP to a non-monotone, injective function that has the entirety of ##\mathbb{R}## as domain. But the rational/irrational one in post 2 is easier to specify (albeit harder to visualize).

andrewkirk said:
(albeit harder to visualize).
Since both are dense, it's just a big X. And it leads to interesting philosophical questions: what one draws is always discrete for you put carbon atoms on the paper. (I apologize, if that remark should be regarded as improper.)

It is also an example of a function which is continuous when restricted to 2 dense subsets, but overall not continuous.

HaLAA said:
Let f(x)=x, x is rational, f(x)=-x,x is irrational, the function is one to one,but it is jumping. Does this example apply?
Of course you could have f(x) = x outside of the interval (-1, 1) and f(x) = -x on the interval (-1, 1) .

or even simpler :

f(1) = -1, f(-1) = 1, otherwise, f(x) = x.

1. What is a one-to-one function?

A one-to-one function is a type of mathematical function where each input value has a unique output value. In other words, for every x-value, there is only one corresponding y-value. This means that no two different input values can produce the same output value.

2. What is a monotone function?

A monotone function is a type of mathematical function where the output values either consistently increase or decrease as the input values increase. In other words, the function either has a consistently positive or negative slope.

3. How can you determine if a function is one-to-one?

A function is one-to-one if and only if each input value has a unique output value. This can be determined by using the vertical line test. This test involves drawing a vertical line through the graph of the function. If the line intersects the graph at only one point, then the function is one-to-one. If the line intersects the graph at more than one point, then the function is not one-to-one.

4. Can a function be both one-to-one and monotone?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be both one-to-one and monotone. This would mean that the function has a unique output value for each input value and the output values consistently increase or decrease as the input values increase.

5. What is the significance of a one-to-one monotone function?

A one-to-one monotone function is significant because it guarantees that the function has an inverse. This means that the function can be "reversed" to find the original input value from a given output value. This is important in many real-world applications, such as finding the original cost of a discounted item or the initial population of a species based on its current population.