Online books biology/biochemistry

• Thread starter Kurret
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding online introduction books in molecular biology or biochemistry. The NCBI books, specifically "Molecular Biology of the Cell" by Alberts et al. and Stryer's biochemistry books, were recommended as excellent resources for these topics. However, it was noted that navigating the books through the table of contents on the NCBI website is not possible and the search feature must be used instead. Another suggestion was the book "Essential Cell Biology" by Alberts et al., which may be better for beginners. Lastly, a website called "Free Biology Books" was also mentioned as a source for downloadable books in .pdf format.
Kurret
Does anyone have any online introduction books in molecular biology or biochemistry (pref in .pdf)? I have searched but didnt manage to find any. Its not for any specific course, i just want to learn about it on my own.

Biology news on Phys.org
Within the NCBI books, Molecular Biology of the Cell by Alberts et al. and Stryer's biochemistry books are excellent resources on molecular/cell biology and biochemistry, respectively. Here are the links to the tables of contents:

Alberts
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv.fcgi?call=bv.View..ShowTOC&rid=mboc4.TOC&depth=2

Stryer
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv.fcgi?&rid=stryer

Unfortunately, NCBI won't let you navigate using the table of contents. Instead, you have to use the search feature to find the relevant sections of the books.

Alberts is perhaps the standard text for molecular biology students. "baby Alberts" is perhaps better for an introduction though... Look for it in a university library if there's one around it's called "Essential Cell Biology" and has I think all the same authors as the larger book.

I don't know if it's actually a better book for you but it might be, depending on what you want to learn...

Thanks for the replies! I found this site too:
http://freebiologybooks.blogspot.com/
This site has loads of books, all in .pdf format. Most of the links doesn't work, but some actually do.

1. What is an online book in biology/biochemistry?

An online book in biology/biochemistry is a digital version of a book that focuses on topics related to biology and biochemistry. It can be accessed through the internet and can be read on a computer, tablet, or mobile device.

2. Are online books in biology/biochemistry reliable sources of information?

Yes, online books in biology/biochemistry are reliable sources of information. They are often written by experts in the field and go through a rigorous editing and peer-review process before being published online.

3. Can I access online books in biology/biochemistry for free?

It depends on the specific book and website. Some online books in biology/biochemistry may be available for free, while others may require a subscription or purchase. It is important to check the website's terms and conditions before accessing the book.

4. Can I download and print online books in biology/biochemistry?

Again, it depends on the website's policies. Some online books may allow for downloading and printing, while others may have restrictions. It is best to check the website's terms and conditions before attempting to download or print the book.

5. Can I interact with the content in an online book in biology/biochemistry?

Some online books in biology/biochemistry may have interactive features such as quizzes, videos, or animations. However, not all online books have this feature. It is important to check the book's description or preview before accessing it to see if there are any interactive elements.