Finding Love in a Chat Room: Can It Really Happen?

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary: For example, you may love the idea of going hiking and your partner hates hiking...or the other way around. If you can't get along on a fundamental level, then it's not likely that you will be able to make it work long term.
cronxeh said:
Well if you don't look like this, you pretty much already fit into category #1 (oh I'm SO dead for this!)
You find rainbows attractive? Hmm...maybe you should be hanging out with arildno and smurf.

Did you post another little waving smiley over in this thread? Grr...what are you trying to do to me? This one at least eventually gives up and just shows up as a broken link.

Physics news on Phys.org
cronxeh said:
banana.gif
That's my hahaha!

Moonbear said:
You find rainbows attractive? Hmm...maybe you should be hanging out with arildno and smurf.

Did you post another little waving smiley over in this thread? Grr...what are you trying to do to me? This one at least eventually gives up and just shows up as a broken link.

:rofl:

I'm a heterosexual guy who happens to be amazed at electromagnetic wave phenomenon and how it makes one feel humble about the world around us

That picture is 22 kb big! it shouldn't take more than a minute to load, here try this direct link:

http://carboninside.com/1794047_l.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My hahaha.

Click on him and see him run!

Attachments

• HAHAHAHA.gif
    HAHAHAHA.gif
    11.6 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Are you talking about online love?

cronxeh said:
:rofl:

I'm a heterosexual guy who happens to be amazed at electromagnetic wave phenomenon and how it makes one feel humble about the world around us

That picture is 22 kb big! it shouldn't take more than a minute to load, here try this direct link:

http://carboninside.com/1794047_l.jpg
Oh, that one opened okay, there was something else before it that didn't. Guess it just isn't my night. Soon I'll have DSL, soon, soon, soon. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I know of two people on another board such as this one that met through the forums and somehow got together and eventually got married. One lived in Vancouver, the other in Summerside PEI. Who knows how they managed to get together.

And it was a hockey board.

:confused:

It is possible to initiate a relationship, which might lead to a romantic relationship (ostensibly that is what is meant by "love") on line. A platonic relationship or friendship is certainly possible.

A lot depends on the two individuals involved. If both are honest and truthful, and share an affinity, then perhaps the relationship can evolve from infatuation to a more mature relationship. Presumably to have a mature relationship, the two must meet, otherwise it remains a 'virtual' (over the wires) relationship.

Even in the case where couples do meet and date, and even marry, we see the case where relationships disintegrate with time (>50% divorce rate).

And for busy professionals who don't have much time, there is "It's Just Lunch, The Dating Service for Busy Professionals". I find an add for this organization often in the airline magazines - presumably targeting the business travelers and successful entrepreneurs.

I have a friend who is looking for a wife, preferably in her 30's, since he would still like to have kids of his own. He is in his early 40's and uses on-line services to find women, as well as referrals from friends. He has dated over 70 women in the last 5 years, and sometimes as many as 3 women in one week. Hopefully he will be successful.

Pengwuino said:
But no seriously, I agree with moonbear, this guy sounds like one of those EMO freaks that don't know what reality is and PROBABLY think love is finding someone who likes the same music group that you do.
Ditto, QFE, that stuff

Astronuc said:
It is possible to initiate a relationship, which might lead to a romantic relationship (ostensibly that is what is meant by "love") on line. A platonic relationship or friendship is certainly possible.

A lot depends on the two individuals involved. If both are honest and truthful, and share an affinity, then perhaps the relationship can evolve from infatuation to a more mature relationship. Presumably to have a mature relationship, the two must meet, otherwise it remains a 'virtual' (over the wires) relationship.

Even in the case where couples do meet and date, and even marry, we see the case where relationships disintegrate with time (>50% divorce rate).

And for busy professionals who don't have much time, there is "It's Just Lunch, The Dating Service for Busy Professionals". I find an add for this organization often in the airline magazines - presumably targeting the business travelers and successful entrepreneurs.

I have a friend who is looking for a wife, preferably in her 30's, since he would still like to have kids of his own. He is in his early 40's and uses on-line services to find women, as well as referrals from friends. He has dated over 70 women in the last 5 years, and sometimes as many as 3 women in one week. Hopefully he will be successful.
Are you trying to help him? :wink:

Lisa! said:
Are you trying to help him? :wink:
If you mean my friend - NO! I stay out of such matters. I just watch with trepidation from the sidelines, and commiserate with him when the relationships collapse. :frown:

He passed up on one woman who surely wanted to marry him, but he did not feel the 'right' feeling. It was also complicated by the fact that he has two cats and she does not care for animals. It's the little stuff like that that can throw a wrench into the works.