Op-Amp Slew Rate/Gain-Bandwidth Product

In summary, the chosen op-amp for the unity gain inverter has a gain-bandwidth product and maximum slew rate of 1V/μs at its output. A high gain-bandwidth product can lead to a high slew rate, and for this specific case, a maximum rms voltage for input signals can be determined based on the reference frequency of 100kHz. The maximum output voltage required may also affect the relationship between gain-bandwidth product and slew rate.
papkin
Question
The op-amp selected for the unity gain inverter, has a gain-bandwidth product, and maximum slew rate at its output of 1V/μs[/b]
(i) Justify the statement that a high gain-bandwidth product necessarily leads to a high slew rate
(ii) The phase sensitive detector is expected to operate with a reference frequency set at 100kHz. Based on the slew rate given, determine a maximum rms voltage for input signals and explain your reasoning
My problem
Don't really know where can I get the gain-bandwidth product. I feel there's no need to present my attempt at a solution, because it's not the type of question that will require derivation or anything.
Thanks for your help (in advance)

Physics news on Phys.org
An op amp outputs a voltage V0sin(ωt). What's the maximum slew rate?

(I hate to muddy the water, but actually the statement is not necessarily correct. Hint: it depends on the max output voltage required).

Sorry, stupid question. Just needed to differentiation once.

1. What is an op-amp slew rate?

An op-amp (operational amplifier) slew rate refers to the maximum rate at which the output voltage can change in response to a step input. It is measured in volts per microsecond (V/μs) and is an important parameter for determining the speed and accuracy of an op-amp.

2. How is op-amp slew rate calculated?

The op-amp slew rate is calculated by taking the derivative of the output voltage with respect to time. In other words, it is the change in output voltage divided by the change in time. It can also be found in the datasheet of an op-amp.

3. What is the relationship between op-amp slew rate and bandwidth?

The op-amp slew rate and bandwidth are inversely related. This means that as the slew rate increases, the bandwidth decreases and vice versa. This is due to the fact that a higher slew rate means the op-amp can respond to changes in the input signal more quickly, but this also limits the frequency range it can operate at.

4. What is the significance of op-amp gain-bandwidth product?

The op-amp gain-bandwidth product (GBW) is a measure of the frequency response of an op-amp. It is the product of the open-loop gain and the bandwidth and is typically specified in Hertz (Hz). A higher GBW product means that the op-amp can maintain a higher gain over a wider range of frequencies.

5. How does temperature affect op-amp slew rate and gain-bandwidth product?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the slew rate and gain-bandwidth product of an op-amp. Higher temperatures can cause the slew rate to decrease and the GBW product to shift to lower frequencies. It is important to consider temperature when designing circuits using op-amps to ensure accurate and stable performance.