1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Op-amps how could this possibly be a comparator?

1. May 27, 2013 #1

Femme_physics

Gold Member

I'm asked which type of op-amps these are

[Broken]

I think it's clear the SECOND one is a comparator, but the FIRST one is an inverter IMO. It has a feedback loop. If it has a feedback loop, it can't possibly be a comparator! Am I right or what?

The solution manual my teacher made, had them both written as "comparators" :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2013 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

No, sorry, you're wrong. :frown:

Look closer, there is no negative feedback, no feedback of any description, in fact.

There are inverting comparators, and there are non-inverting comparators.

4. May 27, 2013 #3

Femme_physics

Gold Member

where R1 is connected- that's not feedback?

5. May 27, 2013 #4

NascentOxygen

R1 just goes to earth. Feedback requires some of the output to feed back to the input (to the (-) input for negative feedback).

(If you ever see positive feedback (i.e., back to the + input) then that makes a comparator.)

6. May 27, 2013 #5

Femme_physics

Gold Member

Duly noted, thanks for this explanation :-)

7. May 27, 2013 #6

Femme_physics

Gold Member

I assume that whenver there is a LED after the comparator, only if V+ > V- , then the LED will light up. Is that a correct assumption to make? Also in my specific case?

8. May 27, 2013 #7

NascentOxygen

The output that lights the LED is dependent on where the LED's other pin is connected. :smile:
    If the LED is connected between output and ground then it will light up when the output goes high.

In your case, the LED is connected between OP-AMP output and +Vcc, meaning that when the output is high, there will be not much voltage across the LED.

So .....

9. May 28, 2013 #8

Femme_physics

Gold Member

That clears it :) Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted