Open Source Mathematica/Derive like program

In summary, - WarrenThe program Maxima can solve equations like the one you mentioned fairly easily. However, I don't know how to do it in Maxima, so someone else may be able to help you.
haki
Hi, can anyone recommend me an open source or at least a free program similar to Derive or Mathematica? I did some searching on the web but didn't found anything useful. I would like a program in which I can enter

Integal[{x^2},x]; and then have the output of x^3/3

preferably something easy to use like Derive. Any pointers are welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please use the search function -- we've answered this question over and over and over again. Look into Maxima.

- Warren

I doubt that you will find much. A program like Mathematica and Derive require one heck of a lot of work, typically by a large crew of programmers. I doubt they are going to do all that work for free.

HallsofIvy said:
I doubt that you will find much. A program like Mathematica and Derive require one heck of a lot of work, typically by a large crew of programmers. I doubt they are going to do all that work for free.

Eh? Are you unaware of programs like Maxima and Octave? They are extremely good free replacements for the commercial packages Mathematica and MATLAB.

- Warren

To see how this software that clearly does require "one heck of a lot of work" to develop can become GPL freeware take look at the brief but interesting wikipedia article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxima"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for your replies.

Maxima rocks. I like it very much (commands and such, very intuitive) and the help system is excellent. For now it covers everything I need but there was one thing I couldn't find in maximas help.

I wanted to get the first pair of numbers (x,y) that are the solution to the following Diophantine equation 222x+255y=9 where y is the smallest possible positive intiger for the pair (x,y) to be the solution to the equation.

haki said:
Thank you very much for your replies.

Maxima rocks. I like it very much (commands and such, very intuitive) and the help system is excellent. For now it covers everything I need but there was one thing I couldn't find in maximas help.

I wanted to get the first pair of numbers (x,y) that are the solution to the following Diophantine equation 222x+255y=9 where y is the smallest possible positive intiger for the pair (x,y) to be the solution to the equation.

I don't know how to do that in Maxima, maybe someone else can help there, but that particular equation is very easy to solve by inspection. Soln : x=-3, y=3

uart said:
I don't know how to do that in Maxima, maybe someone else can help there, but that particular equation is very easy to solve by inspection. Soln : x=-3, y=3

I think that the pair (-8,7) that is x = -8, y = 7 is the first pair of solutions for which y is the smallest positive number. But anyway, that's a bit exotic problem to work on maxima.

Doh, I misread the equation as 252x+255y=9.

I need to start wearing my glasses more often. :eek:

Yeah, I hate the most when I do something like that on an exam, I am still angry for a week or two after the exam, since I have lost points not because of my inabilities to solve a problem.

1. What is an "Open Source Mathematica/Derive like program"?

An "Open Source Mathematica/Derive like program" is a computer software that is similar to the popular mathematical computation programs Mathematica and Derive, but is developed and distributed under an open source license. This means that the program's source code is available for anyone to view, modify, and distribute, and the program can be used for free.

2. What are the advantages of using an open source Mathematica/Derive like program?

The main advantage of using an open source Mathematica/Derive like program is that it is completely free to use, making it accessible to a wider range of users. Additionally, since the source code is available, users can modify the program to suit their specific needs and contribute to its development and improvement.

3. Is an open source Mathematica/Derive like program as powerful as the original programs?

It depends on the specific program and its development. While open source programs may not have all the features of the original programs, they can still be very powerful and capable of performing complex mathematical computations. Furthermore, since the source code is available, the program can be continually improved and updated to match the capabilities of the original programs.

4. Can I use an open source Mathematica/Derive like program for commercial purposes?

Yes, most open source licenses allow for commercial use of the software. However, it is important to carefully read the specific license of the program to ensure that commercial use is permitted.

5. How can I get involved with the development of an open source Mathematica/Derive like program?

If you have programming skills, you can contribute to the development of the program by submitting code or bug reports to the developers. You can also join online communities or forums dedicated to the program to share ideas and discuss improvements. Additionally, you can donate to support the development of the program if the developers accept donations.