1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open switches, current

1. Jan 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a circuit with 7 LEDS connected in parallel, each with a switch on its parallel. There is a battery supplied.

The LEDS correspond to those of a digital clock for example the number 8 would light up all 7 LEDS, whilst the number 0 would light up 6 LEDS.

Which number from 0 to 9 draws the least current from the battery (For example to light up 3 I would have to close 5 switches)

2. Relevant equations

V=IR

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm slightly confused. Since the voltage is remaining the same, the only thing that would make the resistance decrease would be the resistance. I think (please correct me if I am wrong) that an open switch causes infinite resistance, therefore the number with the most open switches would cause the least current, number 1 as 5 LEDS are off

Any idea would be helpful, thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I agree that displaying 1 draws the least current.

4. Jan 6, 2012 #3
    Thank you very much, question is answered, this thread is now obsolete.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook