What number on a digital clock draws the least current from a battery?

In summary, the question is asking which number from 0 to 9 would draw the least current from a battery in a circuit with 7 LEDS connected in parallel, each with a switch. The LEDS correspond to those of a digital clock, with the number 8 lighting up all 7 LEDS and the number 0 lighting up 6 LEDS. The equation V=IR is relevant and it is suggested that displaying the number 1 would draw the least current because it has the most open switches, resulting in infinite resistance. The question has been answered and the thread is now closed.
Mukilab

Homework Statement

There is a circuit with 7 LEDS connected in parallel, each with a switch on its parallel. There is a battery supplied.

The LEDS correspond to those of a digital clock for example the number 8 would light up all 7 LEDS, whilst the number 0 would light up 6 LEDS.

Which number from 0 to 9 draws the least current from the battery (For example to light up 3 I would have to close 5 switches)

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm slightly confused. Since the voltage is remaining the same, the only thing that would make the resistance decrease would be the resistance. I think (please correct me if I am wrong) that an open switch causes infinite resistance, therefore the number with the most open switches would cause the least current, number 1 as 5 LEDS are off

Any idea would be helpful, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree that displaying 1 draws the least current.

Thank you very much, question is answered, this thread is now obsolete.

1. What is an open switch?

An open switch is an electrical component that interrupts the flow of current in a circuit when it is in the "off" position.

2. How does an open switch work?

An open switch works by creating a gap in the circuit when it is in the "off" position, preventing current from flowing through the circuit.

3. What is the purpose of an open switch?

The purpose of an open switch is to control the flow of electricity in a circuit. It allows for the circuit to be turned on and off, and for devices to be powered on or off.

4. What happens when an open switch is closed?

When an open switch is closed, it completes the circuit and allows current to flow through it. This allows for devices connected to the switch to be powered on.

5. How is an open switch different from a closed switch?

An open switch creates a gap in the circuit when it is in the "off" position, while a closed switch completes the circuit and allows current to flow through it when it is in the "on" position.