Operation on Equivalent Classes

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of equivalence classes and their addition. The specific example given is of two equivalence classes, [(a,b)] and [(m,n)], being added to obtain the equivalence class [(an+bm,bn)]. The conversation also mentions the importance of defining addition for equivalence classes and the need for a well-defined equivalence relation. The conversation concludes with the request for more information and resources for understanding the concept better.
dpa

Homework Statement

A solution to a problem has following operation:
here, [(a,b)] and [(m,n)] are two equivalence classes.
[(a,b)]+[(m,n)]=[(an+bm,bn)]

Is not
[(a,b)]+[(m,n)]=[(a+m,b+n)]?

Can anyone explain it to me?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Not until you explain what you have written to us! You can create "equivalence classes" from any set of objects- and for almost all sets, "addition" is not even defined. Are you talking about equivalence classes of pairs of numbers? Integers, rational numbers, or real numbers? And what do you mean by the sum of two equivalence classes? That has to be defined separately. Even then you can create equivalence classes with different properties by using different equivalence relations.

I think you mean the equivalence class, defined on the set of positive integers by "(a, b)~ (c, d) if and only if ad= bc" but then the sum of two equivalence classes is defined by the formula you give, you don't "prove" it. What is useful to prove in this case is that the "addition is well defined". That is, if (a, b) and (x, y) are in the same equivalence class and (m, n) and (p, q) are in the same equivalence class then (an+bm,bn) and (xq+ yp, nq) are in the same equivalence class.

[(a,b)]+[(m,n)]=[(a+m,b+n)]
You can define "sum of equivalence classes" to be whatever you want as long as it is "well defined". This sum might be "well defined" for a different equivalence relation. What equivalence relation are you working with?

I think you need to go back and review the basics of "equivalence relations" and "equivalence classes".

Thank you.
That was somehow helpful. It is defined over the set of rational numbers for the relation you specified.
Yes, I do not understand much and I find my notes/textbook insufficient. I searched online for some explanations, examples and did not find much information there.
Still, thank You.

1. What is an equivalent class in an operation?

An equivalent class in an operation is a set of elements that produce the same result when the operation is applied to them. This means that all elements in an equivalent class are interchangeable and can be considered equal in terms of the operation being performed.

2. How do you determine equivalent classes in an operation?

To determine equivalent classes in an operation, you need to identify which elements produce the same result when the operation is applied to them. This can be done by comparing the output of the operation for different elements or by using mathematical properties of the operation.

3. Why is it important to understand equivalent classes in an operation?

Understanding equivalent classes in an operation is important because it helps us better understand the behavior and properties of the operation. It also allows us to simplify complex operations by grouping elements into equivalent classes, making calculations and problem-solving easier.

4. Can equivalent classes change in different operations?

Yes, equivalent classes can change in different operations. The concept of equivalent classes is specific to a particular operation, so it can vary depending on the operation being performed. Different operations may have different ways of determining equivalent classes and may produce different results.

5. How can equivalent classes be used in real-world applications?

Equivalent classes can be used in real-world applications in various fields such as computer science, mathematics, and engineering. They can help in data classification and organization, optimization of algorithms, and problem-solving. For example, in computer programming, equivalent classes can be used to group similar data or code and improve the efficiency of the program.