Operations on Ideals - Hello Experts

• Thread starter DukeSteve
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operations
In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of ideals and their forms in abstract algebra. The speaker is trying to prove or refute the statements A) Is I_n + I_m is an ideal of the form of I_k?, B) Is I_n intersection with I_m is an ideal of the form of I_k?, and C) Is I_n union with I_m is an ideal of the form of I_k?. The speaker also uses the concepts of greatest common divisor and least common multiple, as well as Bezout's lemma, to support their arguments.
DukeSteve
Hello Experts,

I post this question here because in the homework topics there is no abstract algebra!
Please help me I want to understand it:

I have a ring R with unit. Also I am given n - natural number, I_n is the set {x in R: n*x = 0}

I have to prove or refute: Given n, m natural numbers:

A) Is I_n + I_m is an ideal of the form of I_k?
B) Is I_n intersection with I_m is an ideal of the form of I_k?
C) Is I_n union with I_m is an ideal of the form of I_k?

I just used the Bezout's identity that d = ax+by for any d is a common devisor of a,b, and x,y are integers.
And I get that A is a proof.
For B I don't know how to start...

Physics news on Phys.org
DukeSteve said:
Hello Experts,

I post this question here because in the homework topics there is no abstract algebra!
Please help me I want to understand it:

I have a ring R with unit. Also I am given n - natural number, I_n is the set {x in R: n*x = 0}

I have to prove or refute: Given n, m natural numbers:

A) Is I_n + I_m is an ideal of the form of I_k?
B) Is I_n intersection with I_m is an ideal of the form of I_k?
Let's write I_n=nR##.
##nR \cap mR = (l.c.m.)R## which is again an ideal of this form. Bezout in part A) gave you the greatest common divisor, now we need the least common multiple.
C) Is I_n union with I_m is an ideal of the form of I_k?
No. E.g. ##2\mathbb{Z} \cup 3\mathbb{Z} = \{\,\ldots,-6,-4,-3,-2,0,2,3,4,6,\ldots\,\}## but ##2+3=5 \notin 2\mathbb{Z} \cup 3\mathbb{Z}##.
I just used the Bezout's identity that d = ax+by for any d is a common devisor of a,b, and x,y are integers.
And I get that A is a proof.
Yes, right ideals to be exact: ##(nR+mR)\cdot R \subseteq nR+mR## and ##nR+mR = dR = kR## with Bezout's lemma, correct.
For B I don't know how to start...

1. What are operations on ideals?

Operations on ideals refer to mathematical operations that can be performed on ideals in an algebraic structure, such as a ring or field. These operations include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. How are operations on ideals different from operations on elements?

Operations on ideals are different from operations on elements because they are performed on entire subsets of an algebraic structure, rather than individual elements. This means that the resulting ideal is also a subset of the original structure, rather than a single element.

3. What is the significance of operations on ideals?

Operations on ideals are significant because they allow for the manipulation and analysis of subsets of an algebraic structure, rather than just individual elements. This can be useful in solving equations and proving theorems.

4. Can operations on ideals be performed on any algebraic structure?

Yes, operations on ideals can be performed on any algebraic structure that has the necessary properties for the operations to be defined. This includes rings, fields, and modules.

5. How are operations on ideals related to other areas of mathematics?

Operations on ideals have connections to various areas of mathematics, such as abstract algebra, commutative algebra, and algebraic geometry. They are also used in applications such as cryptography and coding theory.