Operator Language: Why d/dx*x - x*d/dx = 1

In summary, the conversation discusses the commutativity of linear operators A and B when acting on a function ψ(x). The example given is when operator B multiplies by x and operator A takes the derivative with respect to x. They note that in operator language, this is denoted as AB-BA and that dividing by ψ is not necessary. The second equation, d/dx*x - x*d/dx, does not always equal 1 but instead equals the identity operator I. This clarifies any confusion and resolves any issues.
Nezva
When linear operators A and B act on a function ψ(x), they don't always commute. A clear example is when operator B multiplies by x, while operator A takes the derivative with respect to x. Then
ba139ec4de3277dec6bf746cf8fb941f.png

which in operator language means that

f54e3202f439d8acb22e6675932c7659.png

To get the last equation they divided through by ψ but why is it true? I guess what I'm trying to say is that the second equation makes no sense => d/dx*x - x*d/dx doesn't always equal 1... so why do they say that?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, they don't divide it by [itex]\Psi[/itex]; they simply consider it the argument of the operator AB-BA. It's akin to denote a function by f only, instead of f(x), where the variable is explicit.

Second, in this context, d/dx*x - x*d/dx doesn't always equal 1; in fact, it never equals 1: it equals the identity operator I, the one that satisfies [itex]I\Psi=\Psi[/itex].

JSuarez said:
First, they don't divide it by [itex]\Psi[/itex]; they simply consider it the argument of the operator AB-BA. It's akin to denote a function by f only, instead of f(x), where the variable is explicit.

Second, in this context, d/dx*x - x*d/dx doesn't always equal 1; in fact, it never equals 1: it equals the identity operator I, the one that satisfies [itex]I\Psi=\Psi[/itex].

Thanks for stating it so clearly and concisely. Many issues were resolved.

Related to Operator Language: Why d/dx*x - x*d/dx = 1

1. What is operator language?

Operator language is a mathematical language used to express operations and relationships between mathematical objects, such as numbers, variables, and functions.

2. Why is d/dx*x - x*d/dx equal to 1?

This is a mathematical property known as the product rule of differentiation. It states that the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function multiplied by the derivative of the second function plus the second function multiplied by the derivative of the first function. In this case, the two functions are x and d/dx, and their derivatives are both equal to 1, resulting in a final answer of 1.

3. What does d/dx represent in the equation?

d/dx represents the derivative operator, which is a mathematical operation that calculates the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable, in this case, x. It is often used to find the slope of a curve or the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point.

4. How does this equation relate to calculus?

This equation is a fundamental concept in calculus, specifically in differential calculus. It involves finding the derivative of a function, which is a fundamental operation in calculus. It also demonstrates the product rule, which is an important rule in differentiation.

5. Can this equation be applied to other mathematical concepts?

Yes, the concept of operator language, specifically the product rule, can be applied to other areas of mathematics, such as physics and engineering. It is also applicable in more advanced mathematical concepts, such as multivariate calculus and differential equations.