Operator that returns unique number of binary matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a unique number for each configuration of 1s and 0s in an arbitrary square matrix. Suggestions include mapping the entries to digits of a 9-digit number, using a different base, or using a Linear Feedback Shift Register (LFBSR) to compress the binary string. It is noted that the set of matrices do form a vector space under certain conditions. However, it is also mentioned that any smaller representation will result in collisions, making the binary representation a suitable choice for this task.
Mayhem
If we have an arbitrary square matrix populated randomly with 1s and 0s, is there an operator which will return a unique number for each configuration of 1s and 0s in the matrix?
i.e. an operation on
$$ \begin{pmatrix}
1 &0 &0 \\
1 & 0 & 1\\
0 & 1 & 0
\end{pmatrix} $$

would return something different than

$$ \begin{pmatrix}
1 &0 &0 \\
0 & 1 & 1\\
0 & 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix} $$
or any configuration, an ideally for an arbitrary square matrix.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by operator? The set of matrices do not form a vector space, so you can't define a linear operator on them.

You could just map the entries to the digits of a 9-digit number (including leading zeroes).

PeroK said:
What do you mean by operator? The set of matrices do not form a vector space, so you can't define a linear operator on them.

You could just map the entries to the digits of a 9-digit number (including leading zeroes).
Function was maybe a better word (the real word, really). So if me get ##M_{B,i}## denote an arbitrary binary matrix of dimensions n x n, then ##f(M_{B,i}) = k## where ##k## is unique for all ##i##.

Mayhem said:
Function was maybe a better word (the real word, really). So if me get ##M_{B,i}## denote an arbitrary binary matrix of dimensions n x n, then ##f(M_{B,i}) = k## where ##k## is unique for all ##i##.
Just write the digits out in a given order.
$$ f: \begin{pmatrix}
1 &0 &0 \\
1 & 0 & 1\\
0 & 1 & 0
\end{pmatrix} \rightarrow 100101010$$

Likes Mayhem
PeroK said:
Just write the digits out in a given order.
$$ f: \begin{pmatrix}
1 &0 &0 \\
1 & 0 & 1\\
0 & 1 & 0
\end{pmatrix} \rightarrow 100101010$$
Yes, I thought of that. and it's good for small matrices, but becomes very tricky when you are dealing with large matrices (think, you'll need n² digits to represent one matrix) and that's not to mention leading zeroes.

So thank you, there is a way. But is there a more elegant way?

Actually, I'm stupid. We can just represent the output in a different base than base 2, which would generate a unique number and can be easily converted to give information about the matrix.
My bad, thanks!

Likes berkeman
Mayhem said:
So thank you, there is a way. But is there a more elegant way?
Mayhem said:
We can just represent the output in a different base than base 2, which would generate a unique number and can be easily converted to give information about the matrix.
That sounds like it should work. We do something similar to compress medium-length binary strings into Base-33 notation, for example.

One other technique I was going to suggest is to use a Linear Feedback Shift Register (LFBSR) to compress the long binary string into a shorter binary string (say 16b or 32b long). This technique is used in communications encoding to generate a Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) word that is appended to the communication string and used for error detection purposes. With the CRC technique, though, there is a very small chance that the CRC could be generated by two different communication strings. So if you don't need to limit the length of your "compressed" version of the binary matrix, your idea would be more reliable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear-feedback_shift_register

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_redundancy_check

Base-33 info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_numeral_systems#By_type_of_notation

berkeman said:
That sounds like it should work. We do something similar to compress medium-length binary strings into Base-33 notation, for example.

One other technique I was going to suggest is to use a Linear Feedback Shift Register (LFBSR) to compress the long binary string into a shorter binary string (say 16b or 32b long). This technique is used in communications encoding to generate a Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) word that is appended to the communication string and used for error detection purposes. With the CRC technique, though, there is a very small chance that the CRC could be generated by two different communication strings. So if you don't need to limit the length of your "compressed" version of the binary matrix, your idea would be more reliable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear-feedback_shift_register

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_redundancy_check

Base-33 info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_numeral_systems#By_type_of_notation
To be honest, I was just looking for inspiration on cool mathematical ways to program a snake game lol

• Haha
Likes berkeman
PeroK said:
The set of matrices do not form a vector space, so you can't define a linear operator on them.
Unless there's something I'm forgetting, the matrices in this thread do form a vector space, provided that the field is the set {0, 1}, element-wise addition is done modulo 2, and scalar multiplication is also done modulo 2.

Last edited:
Likes Office_Shredder
There are ##2^{n^2}## distinct choices of matrix. So you need to use at least the numbers 1 through ##2^{n^2}## which the binary representation does. Any smaller representation will have collisions

Likes Mayhem
Office_Shredder said:
There are ##2^{n^2}## distinct choices of matrix. So you need to use at least the numbers 1 through ##2^{n^2}## which the binary representation does. Any smaller representation will have collisions
I'll take your word on that. That said, the fact that mapping it to digits and converting to decimal gives a unique number is quite cool!

Or you could use Gödel numbering: Number the elements in the matrice in a unique way, then form the product [itex]\prod_{j=1}^{N}p_{j}^{aj} [/itex]where pj is the j'th prime and aj is the j'th number in the matrix.

• Wow
Likes PeroK
Mayhem said:
I'll take your word on that. That said, the fact that mapping it to digits and converting to decimal gives a unique number is quite cool!
It is a unique number even before mapping it to decimal. The conversion to decimal makes it a numeral.

jbriggs444 said:
The conversion to decimal makes it a numeral.
I don't believe that a number has to be in decimal form to be a numeral. E.g., 0x12, 18, 100102, and XVIII are all numerals that are different representations of decimal 18.

Mark44 said:
I don't believe that a number has to be in decimal form to be a numeral. E.g., 0x12, 18, 100102, and XVIII are all numerals that are different representations of decimal 18.
Right. But the value that results from taking the set of bits in the 3 x 3 matrix as a sequence and interpreting them in place value notation is a number. The result of converting that result to a decimal string is a numeral.

1. What is the purpose of an operator that returns unique number of binary matrix?

The purpose of this operator is to generate a unique number that represents a binary matrix. This number can then be used to identify and compare different binary matrices.

2. How does the operator calculate the unique number for a binary matrix?

The operator uses a mathematical formula that assigns a unique number to each possible combination of 0s and 1s in a binary matrix. This number is based on the position and value of each element in the matrix.

3. Can the operator handle binary matrices of any size?

Yes, the operator is designed to work with binary matrices of any size. The unique number generated will depend on the number of rows and columns in the matrix.

4. Is the unique number generated by the operator always the same for a given binary matrix?

Yes, the unique number generated by the operator will always be the same for a given binary matrix. This allows for easy identification and comparison of binary matrices.

5. How can the unique number be used in practical applications?

The unique number generated by the operator can be used in various applications, such as data compression, pattern recognition, and data encryption. It can also be used to efficiently store and retrieve binary matrices in databases.