Which school has a better pedigree for material science: UCLA or UMich?

• Thread starter alex caps
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Opinions
In summary, the conversation revolves around a high school senior who is considering majoring in material science at either UCLA or UMich. They are trying to determine which school has a better reputation in terms of pedigree, as they are choosing their school based on research opportunities and potential for publishing papers. The senior has visited both schools and likes them for different reasons, but is struggling to decide which one will hold more weight in terms of reputation and name.
alex caps
I am a high school senior and I am going to be majoring in material science at either UCLA or UMich. I was wondering, which school has a better reputation in terms of pedigree? I am choosing my school largely in part to the research that I will embark in; I know professors in my field of interest at both schools who have already offered me lab positions and I am certain that I will publish atleast a couple papers if I go to either school, but I am having a hard time deciding which one to go to.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you visited both of them?

yes, I have been to both and I like both for different reasons. I am trying to figure out if one will pull more weight in terms of its reputation and name..

1. What are the academic rankings of UMich and UCLA?

According to U.S. News & World Report, UMich is ranked #24 and UCLA is ranked #19 in the 2020 National Universities ranking.

2. How are the student populations different between UMich and UCLA?

UMich has a larger student population with about 46,000 students, while UCLA has about 44,000 students. Additionally, UMich has a higher percentage of out-of-state students (49%) compared to UCLA (27%).

3. What are the most popular majors at UMich and UCLA?

The most popular majors at UMich are Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services; Engineering; and Social Sciences. At UCLA, the most popular majors are Social Sciences; Biological and Biomedical Sciences; and Psychology.

4. How do the campus locations of UMich and UCLA compare?

UMich is located in Ann Arbor, Michigan, which is about 45 minutes from Detroit. UCLA is located in Los Angeles, California, in the Westwood neighborhood. Both campuses are known for their vibrant college towns and proximity to major cities.

5. What are some notable alumni from UMich and UCLA?

Notable UMich alumni include former U.S. President Gerald Ford, actor James Earl Jones, and Google co-founder Larry Page. Notable UCLA alumni include former U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris, actor James Franco, and director Francis Ford Coppola.