Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical question

1. Jul 17, 2009 #1
    I am shining a HeNe beam into a 1:1 solution of 40% HF and 7% potassium permanganate. Potassium permenganate is very dark purple (cannot see visible light throught it). I am shining the HeNe through about 2 millimeters depth of this solution. I was wondering how much of the beam is actually getting through and hitting my sample at the bottom, or if the affects would just be neglegible. I am considering using sodium permanganate because I need a higher concentration, however, a solution of sodium permanganate will be dark red, though I don't know how dark yet because I have not ordered any. I can't dilute the potassium permanganate without lessening its effects. Even if I were to dilute it, the purple color would not decrease enough anyway. Please give me any tips you can. thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It's not clear what you are doing- what is the laser illumination for?

"Optical density" is what you are looking for: A quick search didn't turn anything up, but you can measure it reasonably easily.

4. Jul 23, 2009 #3
    photoetching porous silicon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook