1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical question

1. Jul 17, 2009 #1
    I am shining a HeNe beam into a 1:1 solution of 40% HF and 7% potassium permanganate. Potassium permenganate is very dark purple (cannot see visible light throught it). I am shining the HeNe through about 2 millimeters depth of this solution. I was wondering how much of the beam is actually getting through and hitting my sample at the bottom, or if the affects would just be neglegible. I am considering using sodium permanganate because I need a higher concentration, however, a solution of sodium permanganate will be dark red, though I don't know how dark yet because I have not ordered any. I can't dilute the potassium permanganate without lessening its effects. Even if I were to dilute it, the purple color would not decrease enough anyway. Please give me any tips you can. thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's not clear what you are doing- what is the laser illumination for?

"Optical density" is what you are looking for: A quick search didn't turn anything up, but you can measure it reasonably easily.
  4. Jul 23, 2009 #3
    photoetching porous silicon
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook