Optical Question: HeNe Beam Through Potassium Permanganate

• Thread starter Altruist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optical
In summary, the speaker is using a HeNe beam to illuminate a 1:1 solution of 40% HF and 7% potassium permanganate. The potassium permanganate is very dark purple and the speaker is wondering how much of the beam is actually reaching their sample at the bottom. They are considering using sodium permanganate for a higher concentration, but this solution will be dark red. The speaker is unable to dilute the potassium permanganate without reducing its effects and is seeking tips for their experiment.
Altruist
I am shining a HeNe beam into a 1:1 solution of 40% HF and 7% potassium permanganate. Potassium permenganate is very dark purple (cannot see visible light throught it). I am shining the HeNe through about 2 millimeters depth of this solution. I was wondering how much of the beam is actually getting through and hitting my sample at the bottom, or if the affects would just be neglegible. I am considering using sodium permanganate because I need a higher concentration, however, a solution of sodium permanganate will be dark red, though I don't know how dark yet because I have not ordered any. I can't dilute the potassium permanganate without lessening its effects. Even if I were to dilute it, the purple color would not decrease enough anyway. Please give me any tips you can. thank you.

Science news on Phys.org
It's not clear what you are doing- what is the laser illumination for?

"Optical density" is what you are looking for: A quick search didn't turn anything up, but you can measure it reasonably easily.

photoetching porous silicon

1. What is the purpose of using potassium permanganate in the HeNe beam experiment?

Potassium permanganate is used as a barrier in the HeNe beam experiment to demonstrate the principles of refraction and scattering of light. It acts as a filter, allowing only certain wavelengths of light to pass through, creating a visible beam of light.

2. How does the HeNe beam pass through the potassium permanganate?

The HeNe beam passes through the potassium permanganate because the potassium permanganate has a higher refractive index than air. This causes the light to bend towards the normal as it enters the potassium permanganate and then bend away from the normal as it exits, resulting in the beam passing through the barrier.

3. What causes the color change in the HeNe beam as it passes through the potassium permanganate?

The color change in the HeNe beam is caused by the scattering of light by the potassium permanganate. The solution absorbs some of the red and green wavelengths of light, resulting in the remaining blue light being scattered and giving the beam a purple color.

4. Is the color of the HeNe beam affected by the concentration of potassium permanganate?

Yes, the color of the HeNe beam can be affected by the concentration of potassium permanganate. A higher concentration of the solution will result in more absorption of light, causing the beam to appear darker purple. A lower concentration will result in less absorption and a lighter purple color.

5. Can the HeNe beam experiment be performed with other substances besides potassium permanganate?

Yes, the HeNe beam experiment can be performed with other substances that have a higher refractive index than air, such as sugar solutions or oils. However, the color of the beam may vary depending on the substance used and its concentration.