Question about potassium permanganate/reaction

• Thread starter johny_doe
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is interested in combining unique chemicals and documenting their reactions. They attempted to combine potassium permanganate and glycerin, but encountered problems due to using a solution of potassium permanganate instead of solid crystals. They are now looking for methods to separate the potassium permanganate from the solution or to obtain solid crystals for the reaction. It is advised to be cautious when handling potassium permanganate as it is a strong oxidizer.
johny_doe
Before I present my problem, I would just like to introduce myself and my interest in combining unique chemicals and documenting their reactions. A friend has mentioned to me that in combining potassium permanganate and glycerin, a favorable reaction will occur.

In my spare time I have decided to attempt this chemical composition for myself and see what reaction I would experience. There was no problem in finding glycerin, however, the only source of potassium permanganate that I could find was in a solution designed for backyard ponds. This solution, called "Poly-Ox", has a dark purple color to it and the bottle features a large warning label stating the solution contains potassium permanganate.

With the idea of error in mind, I have attempted to use the "Poly-Ox" solution and see if I will be able to obtain a reaction inclusive of the other chemicals and ingredients. To no surprise, it did not work. Since the glycerin I am using is pure, it is safe to assume that the problem I am experiencing is with the Poly-Ox solution. I am curious to know if there is any method in which I can partake towards potentially seperating the potassium permanganate from the other substances. If this does not seem likely, any help regarding other ways of obtaining potassium permanganate will be appreciated, wheather it be from the "Poly-Ox" substance that I have now or wheather it be from buying something completely new.

Thanks

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Potassium Permanganate is a very powerful oxidizer, so powerful, when it is mixed with glycerin, a sponteous and very exothermix reaction occurs.

A video of glycerin reacting with KMnO4 crystals can be seen here,
http://www.powerlabs.org/chemlabs/kmno.htm
14KMnO4 + 4C3H5(OH)3 --> 7K2CO3 + 7Mn2O3 + 5CO2 + 16H2O

My guess as to your problem is that you need solid KMnO4 for this to work, not a solution of KMnO4.
You could try to evaporate off the water, crystalizing out the Potassium Permanganate and everything else in solution.

KMnO4 is a very strong oxidizer, in turn should not be taken out of solution unless the solvent is identified. I had a jar of potassium permanganate in 2% solution, it came out of solution and implanted itself in the tape around the jar. I had to wrap it up and dipose of it carefully. You could try, BUT BE CAREFUL!

As others have mentioned, you need solid KMnO4 for this reaction to occur. Boil down your solution until it is saturated. Cool it down until crystals precipitate out. Filter and dry the crystals. Powder your product with a mortal and pestel and then try the reaction.

1. What is potassium permanganate?

Potassium permanganate is a chemical compound with the formula KMnO4. It is a strong oxidizing agent and is commonly used in various industrial and laboratory processes.

2. What is the reaction of potassium permanganate?

The reaction of potassium permanganate depends on the substances it is reacting with. It is commonly used as an oxidizing agent and can react with various organic and inorganic compounds to produce different products.

3. What is the purpose of using potassium permanganate in reactions?

Potassium permanganate is often used in reactions as an oxidizing agent. It can help convert certain compounds into more desirable products or aid in the identification of specific substances in a mixture.

4. Is potassium permanganate safe to use in experiments?

Potassium permanganate can be hazardous if handled improperly. It is important to follow proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and handling it in a well-ventilated area.

5. How can I dispose of potassium permanganate after use?

Potassium permanganate should be disposed of properly according to local regulations. It is typically recommended to neutralize the solution with a reducing agent, such as sodium bisulfite, before disposing of it in a designated hazardous waste facility.