Optics Problems: Submerged light

In summary, the radius of the circle from which light escapes from the liquid into the air above the surface is 3.31 meters.
yuvlevental

Homework Statement

A green light is submerged 2.30 m beneath the surface of a liquid with an index of refraction 1.39. What is the radius of the circle from which light escapes from the liquid into the air above the surface?

Homework Equations

Critical angle: Sin(AngleCritical)=(n2/n1), n1>n2
Well I think...

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the radius a direct line of light from the light to the water's surface?
If so: sin-1(1.39/1) = 46 cos(46)*2.3=ans

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have the critical angle correct. Draw a picture of the situation. The light source (which I take it you are to treat as a point) would have rays reaching the surface from 2.3 meters below. At the surface, the rays just at the critical angle which define the radius of this circle make a 46º angle to the perpendicular. What angle do they make to the line going straight up from the source to the surface? If the distance up to the surface is 2.3 m, what would the radius of the circle be?

Last edited:
I got 3.31m, but I know that I am wrong. It the hypothenuse in the attatched picture the one that the problem meant?

Attachments

• problem.png
    problem.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 729
yuvlevental said:
I got 3.31m, but I know that I am wrong. It the hypothenuse in the attatched picture the one that the problem meant?

That sounds like you found the diameter of the circle. How did you calculate this value?

BTW, attachments can take hours to be cleared on this board. They should not be relied upon if you want a quick reply...

i did 2.3/cos(46) to find the length between the point of light and where the light meets the water. Also, I did 3.31/2, but the answer is still wrong. I'm not sure what the circle is. Can you describe it to me?

yuvlevental said:
i did 2.3/cos(46) to find the length between the point of light and where the light meets the water. Also, I did 3.31/2, but the answer is still wrong. I'm not sure what the circle is. Can you describe it to me?

You don't want the hypotenuse of the triangle, as that traces the ray of light itself. You are interested in the leg of the triangle perpendicular to the vertical leg, which is the distance along the surface of the water from the point directly above the light source. The other end of that leg is the point where the light ray traveling at the critical angle emerges from the water. What would be the length of that leg?

thank you very much good madam/sir, you are my hero :-DDDDD

1. What is "submerged light" in optics problems?

Submerged light refers to the phenomenon of light passing through a medium with a different refractive index than the surrounding medium. This can occur when light passes through water, air, or any other medium that has a different density than the surrounding medium.

2. How does the refractive index affect submerged light?

The refractive index of a medium determines the speed at which light travels through it. When light passes from one medium to another with a different refractive index, it changes direction and can appear to bend or refract. This is what causes the distortion of objects when viewed through water or other mediums.

3. What is Snell's Law and how does it relate to submerged light?

Snell's Law is a formula that describes the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction for light passing through different mediums. It states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the two mediums' refractive indices. This law is essential in solving submerged light problems.

4. How do you calculate the apparent depth of an object in submerged light?

The apparent depth of an object in submerged light can be calculated using the formula: apparent depth = real depth / refractive index. This means that the apparent depth of an object will be less than its actual depth when viewed through a medium with a higher refractive index than the surrounding medium.

5. What are some real-world applications of submerged light in optics?

Submerged light has many practical applications in optics, including the design of lenses and prisms for devices such as cameras and microscopes. It is also essential in understanding how light behaves when passing through water or other transparent mediums, which is crucial in fields such as marine biology and oceanography.