Solve Optics Problem with Lensmaker's Equation

• Thread starter dzza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics
In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving an optics lab and the lensmaker's equation. The person needs help with finding the image distance from the first lens and is confused about the object being on the focal plane. They are on the right track and need to remember that the inverse of a very large number approaches zero, meaning the image will be formed at infinity.
dzza
Hey, so I've got a HW for an optics lab and haven't studied optics for a while, so I could use a little help.

The problem is a lensmaker's equation question involving a system of optical devices. An object at a distance of 30cm to the left of a converging lens of focal length +30cm. The converging lens is then 10 cm away from a divering lens of known focal length.

Now, I know the general procedure for solving this sort of problem, using the image of the light through the first lens as the object for the second lens. If I could just find the image distance from the first lens I'd be in good shape. But, isn't the object on the focal plane? and if it is, don't all rays of light incident on the first lens from the object emerge parallel to optical axis? In that case, no image is formed.

From the lensmaker's equation, i get 1/30 + 1/s = 1/30, where s is the image distance, and this has no solution. My question is do I have a sign messed up for the focal length or object distance?

Physics news on Phys.org
No.You are in the right track. Remeber mathematically that the inverse of avery large number is very small. That is if one make the denominater larger and larger the inverse appoaches zero. So the image will be formed at infinity. This means that the object dinstance for the divergiing lens will be [tex]+\infty[/tex].

I would approach this problem by first clarifying any uncertainties or confusion with the given information. In this case, it seems that the object is located on the focal plane of the first lens, which would result in parallel rays of light emerging from the lens and no image being formed. This may be a mistake in the problem statement or a misunderstanding of the concept of focal plane. I would suggest double-checking the given information and clarifying with the instructor if necessary.

Assuming that the object distance and focal length are correct, the equation 1/30 + 1/s = 1/30 does not have a solution because the image distance cannot be determined. This indicates that there may be an error in the lensmaker's equation or in the given values.

To solve this problem, I would recommend using the thin lens equation: 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length, do is the object distance, and di is the image distance. This equation can be used to calculate the image distance from the first lens, which can then be used as the object distance for the second lens.

It is also important to note that the sign convention for the focal length and object distance may affect the final result. In this case, the positive sign for the focal length and object distance indicates that they are both on the same side of the lens, which is the correct assumption for a converging lens. However, if the sign convention is different, it may lead to a different result.

In conclusion, to solve this optics problem with the lensmaker's equation, it is important to clarify any uncertainties and use the correct sign convention for the given values. If there are still issues with finding a solution, it may be necessary to use alternative equations or seek help from an instructor.

FAQ: Solve Optics Problem with Lensmaker's Equation

What is the Lensmaker's Equation?

The Lensmaker's Equation is a formula used to calculate the focal length of a lens based on its physical characteristics, such as the curvature of its surfaces and the refractive index of the material it is made of.

How is the Lensmaker's Equation used to solve optics problems?

The Lensmaker's Equation is used to calculate the focal length of a lens, which is an important parameter in determining the behavior of light passing through the lens. By plugging in the relevant values, such as radius of curvature and refractive index, the equation can be solved to find the focal length.

What are the key variables in the Lensmaker's Equation?

The key variables in the Lensmaker's Equation are the radius of curvature of the lens surfaces, the refractive index of the lens material, and the thickness of the lens. These values are used to calculate the focal length of the lens.

Can the Lensmaker's Equation be used for all types of lenses?

Yes, the Lensmaker's Equation can be used for all types of lenses, including convex, concave, and complex lenses. However, it is important to note that the equation assumes thin lenses, where the thickness of the lens is much smaller than the radius of curvature of its surfaces.

Are there any limitations to using the Lensmaker's Equation?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the Lensmaker's Equation. It assumes that the lens is made of a single material with a uniform refractive index, which may not be the case for all lenses. Additionally, the equation does not take into account certain factors such as aberrations and lens imperfections.