Optimal Control for Differential Equations with L2 Control Constraint

In summary, the solution to the system of differential equations is $y_2= v(t)e^t$ where $v' e^t= u$.
Alexandru999
To be able to build a control \(\displaystyle
y_{1}{}'=y_1{}+y_{2}

\)

\(\displaystyle y_{2}{}'=y_2{}+u \)

\(\displaystyle u \epsilon L^{2} (0,1)\)

for the care of the appropriate system solution \(\displaystyle y_{1}(0)=y_{2}(0)=0\)

satisfy \(\displaystyle y_{1}(1)=1 ,y_{2}(1)=0\)

Please kindly if you can help me
Discipline is Optimal ControlHELP! i need to find control u

I am not cost functional, how to solve?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not really up on "control" problems and I have no idea what being "cost functional" means but this looks to me like solving a system of differential equations. I am going to write the independent variable as "t".

If you are used to dealing with "control" problems, you might be used to setting a system of differential equations up as a matrix equation. For this problem that would be $\begin{pmatrix}y_1 \\ y_2 \end{pmatrix}'= \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}$$\begin{pmatrix}y_1 \\ y_2 \end{pmatrix}$$+ \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ u \end{pmatrix}$
and then observe that the matrix $\begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}$ has 1 as a double eigenvalue.

Personally I wouldn't get that "sophisticated". I would, rather, note that the second equation, $y_2'= y_2+ u$ doesn't involve $y_1$ so can be solved directly. The "associated homogeneous equation" is $y_2'= y_2$ which has the general solution $y_2= Ce^t$ for C any constant. Using the "variation of parameters" method, we seek a solution of the form $y_2= v(t)e^t$ (thus "varying the parameter"- letting C be a function). $y_2'= v'e^t+ ve^t= ve^t+ u$ so that $v'e^t= u$, $v'= e^{-t}u$ and $v= \int_1^t e^{-z}u(z)dz$ (I have taken 1 as the lower limit in order to simplify using $y_2(1)= 0$).

So $y_2(t)= Ce^t+ e^t\int_1^t e^{-z}u(z)dz$. Setting t= 1, $y_2(1)= Ce= 0$ so $C= 0$. $y_2(t)= e^t\int_1^t e^{-z}u(z)dz$.

Now turn to the first equation. $y_1'= y_1+ y_2= y_1+ e^t\int_1^t e^{-z}u(z)dz$. The "associated homogeneous equation" for this is $y_1'= y_1$ which has general solution $y_1(t)= De^t$. Again, to use "variation of parameters" we seek a solution of the form $y_1(t)= w(t)e^t$. $y_1'= w'e^t+ we^t= we^t+ e^t\int_1^t e^{-z}u(z)dz$ so $w' e^t= e^t\int_1^t e^{-z}u(z)dz$. $w'(t)= \int_1^z e^{-z}u(z)dz$ and $w(t)= \int_1^t\int_1^s e^{-z}u(z)dz ds$.
Then $y_1(t)= De^t+ e^t\int_1^t\int_1^s e^{-z}u(z)dz ds$.
Since $y_1(1)= D= 0$, $y_1(t)= e^t\int_1^t\int_1^s e^{-z}u(z)dz ds$.

Now that we have solved the differential equations in terms of "u" what would make u a "control"?

Last edited:

1. What is optimal control for differential equations?

Optimal control for differential equations is a mathematical framework that aims to find the best control strategy for a system described by a set of differential equations. The goal is to minimize a cost function while satisfying the system dynamics and any constraints.

2. What is the L2 control constraint?

The L2 control constraint is a type of constraint that limits the magnitude of the control input in the optimal control problem. It is based on the L2 norm, which measures the magnitude of a vector in a multidimensional space.

3. How is optimal control for differential equations with L2 control constraint solved?

The optimal control problem with L2 control constraint is typically solved using a technique called Pontryagin's maximum principle, which involves solving a set of coupled differential equations known as the Hamiltonian equations. This can be done numerically using various methods such as gradient descent or direct methods.

4. What are the applications of optimal control for differential equations with L2 control constraint?

Optimal control for differential equations with L2 control constraint has many applications in engineering, economics, and other fields. It can be used to design control strategies for systems such as robots, aircraft, and chemical processes. It can also be applied to problems in finance, such as portfolio optimization.

5. What are the limitations of optimal control for differential equations with L2 control constraint?

One limitation of this approach is that it assumes perfect knowledge of the system dynamics and constraints, which may not always be the case in real-world applications. Additionally, the solution may be sensitive to the initial conditions and parameters, making it difficult to generalize to different scenarios. Finally, the computational complexity of solving the optimal control problem can be high, especially for large-scale systems.