Optimizing Ladder Length for Fence-to-Pole Reach

In summary, the question asks for the shortest ladder that can reach over an eight-foot fence to a telephone pole that is one foot away on level ground. The solution involves using the Pythagorean theorem and taking the derivative to find an optimal point. After drawing a clear picture and labeling variables, the problem can be solved easily.
1calculus1

Homework Statement

An eight-foot fence stands on level ground is one foot from a telephone pole. Find the shortest ladder that will reach over the fence to the pole.

Homework Equations

Pythagoras?
Derivative.

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is I don't know how to start this equation due to the fact that it does not have an equation to work with. You see, I'm used to seeing an equation with these kind of question then all I have to do is get the Pythagoras of the picture (telephone pole to the over the fence). Then after that I eliminate 1 variable from the 2 variable equation then use the resulting equation to get its derivative. From the derivative, I can get an x or y value depending on which I had eliminated first from the previous step before getting the derivative. Then plug that in from my original equation and get a point.

PLEASE HELP?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can draw a picture of the situation, yes? Now put numbers where you know the distance and label the distances you don't know with variables. I would suggest e.g. you call the height where the ladder touches the pole h and the distance to the fence x. You have two similar triangles. Can you use that to express h in terms of x? Now write an equation for the length of the ladder and maximize it in terms of the single remaining variable.

OH, THANK YOU!
Problem solved. =)

1calculus1 said:
OH, THANK YOU!
Problem solved. =)

THAT'S ALL IT TOOK?? And I thought you were confused. Well done.

Yeah, apparently my drawing was a mess. You can try my other question below this topic. =)

1. What is the Optimization Fence Problem?

The Optimization Fence Problem is a mathematical optimization problem that involves finding the maximum area of a rectangular fence that can be constructed using a fixed length of fencing material. The fence must also enclose a given area, typically represented as a rectangle.

2. What are the key factors to consider in solving the Optimization Fence Problem?

The key factors to consider in solving the Optimization Fence Problem are the length of the fencing material, the dimensions of the area to be enclosed, and the shape of the fence (rectangular, square, etc.). Other factors may include any restrictions or limitations on the placement or design of the fence.

3. How is the Optimization Fence Problem typically solved?

The Optimization Fence Problem is typically solved using mathematical techniques such as calculus and linear programming. These methods involve setting up an objective function and constraints, and then using mathematical algorithms to find the optimal solution.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the Optimization Fence Problem?

Yes, the Optimization Fence Problem has various real-world applications, such as designing efficient agricultural fields, maximizing storage space in warehouses, and optimizing resource allocation in construction projects.

5. Can the Optimization Fence Problem be solved for any shape of fence?

No, the Optimization Fence Problem can only be solved for rectangular and square fences. This is because these shapes have simple and easily solvable equations for their perimeter and area, making it easier to find the optimal solution. Other shapes, such as triangles or circles, would require more complex equations and algorithms to solve the problem.