Find the multiple integral for a modeled problem

In summary: If I were doing the problem I would do the ##xy##-integration first, for fixed ##z##, then integrate over ##z## after that.
xipe

Homework Statement

A 12 foot light pole stands at the corner of an 8 foot by 10 foot rectangular picnic blanket spread out on the ground. A bee flies in a straight line from a point P on the pole to a point Q on the blanket.

Set up a multiple integral whose value represents the average length of all possible paths along which the bee could fly.

Homework Equations

None so far.

The Attempt at a Solution

After sketching the situation, I think spherical coordinates would be best to use, but I am having trouble figuring out the bounds. I think that rho would go from sqrt(12^2+8^2) to sqrt(12^2+10^2+8^2), these being the shortest and longest length of rho from the top of the pole to the corners of the blanket. This would only give half of the region of the blanket though. If i could find an integral and multiply it by 2, it should work. If this were the case, theta would go from 0 to pi/2. My main issue would be finding the values for phi. I would imagine it would go from (pi/2)+tan^-1(12/sqrt(10^2+8^2) to pi. My other concern is that maybe rho has to be a function of phi somehow. Sorry for the confusing description, but this problem is giving me a lot of issues. Any advice to point me in the right direction would be immensely appreciated! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
xipe said:
After sketching the situation, I think spherical coordinates would be best to use

Hi xipe,
why do you think that ? Suppose I would think Cartesian coordinates were the best, how would you weigh our mututal proposals ?

I can't see how spherical coordinates will help here. Quite the opposite!

So if I used Cartesian coords, would it just be 0<=x<=8,0<=y<=10,0<=z<=slope of the hypotenuse from the top of the pole to out outskirts of the blanket? My difficulty is accounting for the shape of the area of integration.

xipe said:
So if I used Cartesian coords, would it just be 0<=x<=8,0<=y<=10,0<=z<=slope of the hypotenuse from the top of the pole to out outskirts of the blanket? My difficulty is accounting for the shape of the area of integration.

If the bee flies from (0,0,z) to (x,y,0) you do not need any restrictions on the slope of the hypotenuse. The only restrictions are 0 ≤ z ≤ 12, 0 ≤ x ≤ 8 and 0 ≤ y ≤ 10.

That's what I thought originally, but wouldn't that give you a cubic volume when you integrate it? I'm missing something, otherwise the integrand should just be dxdydz?
And to find the average value, the volume of the region of integration is another confusing thing to figure out.

Does that give you a length ?
Draw the line from (0,0,z) to (x,y,0) and write an expression for the length ...

Would that length be sqrt(z^2+sqrt(x^2+y^2))?
I apologize for all of the questions and greatly appreciate all of your help.

xipe said:
Would that length be sqrt(z^2+sqrt(x^2+y^2))?
I apologize for all of the questions and greatly appreciate all of your help.
You don't need that second square root. Just use the distance in Cartesian coordinates.

xipe said:
That's what I thought originally, but wouldn't that give you a cubic volume when you integrate it? I'm missing something, otherwise the integrand should just be dxdydz?
And to find the average value, the volume of the region of integration is another confusing thing to figure out.

The integration element is just ##dx\, dy \, dz##, but the integration region is not a rectangular box; you are not looking at a solid region where a little ##dx\, dy## cylinder segment goes from ##(x,y,0)## to ##(x,y,z_{\max}(x,y))##, and you most definitely are not evaluating the volume of a solid region.

If I were doing the problem I would do the ##xy##-integration first, for fixed ##z##, then integrate over ##z## after that.

Last edited:

1. What is a multiple integral?

A multiple integral is a type of integral that involves integrating a function of multiple variables over a certain region or volume in space. It is denoted by the symbol ∫∫...∫f(x1, x2, ..., xn) dx1dx2...dxn, where n represents the number of variables.

2. When is a multiple integral used?

A multiple integral is used when the function being integrated depends on multiple variables and the region of integration is not a simple shape, such as a rectangle or circle. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate properties like mass, volume, and center of mass.

3. How do I set up a multiple integral?

To set up a multiple integral, you first need to identify the region of integration, which is usually given in the problem. Then, you need to determine the order of integration, which is the order in which the variables are integrated. Finally, you need to set up the limits of integration for each variable based on the given region.

4. What is the difference between a double integral and a triple integral?

A double integral is an integral with two variables, while a triple integral has three variables. Essentially, a double integral calculates the area under a surface, while a triple integral calculates the volume under a solid in three-dimensional space.

5. Can you provide an example of finding a multiple integral for a modeled problem?

Sure, let's say we have a function f(x,y) = 2x + y and we need to find the double integral over the region R = {0 ≤ x ≤ 2, 0 ≤ y ≤ 3}. First, we set up the integral: ∫∫R 2x + y dx dy. Then, we integrate with respect to x first, giving us: ∫0 2 (2x + y) dx. Substituting in the limits of integration, we have: ∫0 2 (2x + y) dx = (2x^2 + xy)∣0 2 = 8 + 3y. Finally, we integrate with respect to y, giving us: ∫0 3 (8 + 3y) dy = 8y + (3/2)y^2∣0 3 = 27. Therefore, the multiple integral for this modeled problem is 27.